PDA

View Full Version : Having trouble with skins and standalone build

kvrana
05-13-2004, 03:12 PM
I just moved from IS9 to ISX and now the ISX standalone build is not using my custom skins. If I build for ISX then the skin is included correctly, only on the standalone build does it not work.

I have downloaded the latest ISX stand alone build.

I have tried to use the one of the standard IS skins as a test with the same results.

Does anyone have any suggestions, or have had a similar problem?

RichAquino
05-17-2004, 01:19 PM
Hi,

Do you get the same results with a new project, or does it only happen with the upgraded project?

Rich

kvrana
05-17-2004, 03:16 PM
I just created a new test project. If I build the installer using InstallShield 10 then I get the skin. When I build with the stand alone, version 10, then I do not get the skin. The dialogs that are displayed look like the skinned dialogs, they just don't have the colors or bitmaps applied to them. There are no error messages or warnings.

kvrana
05-19-2004, 10:08 AM
Any ideas on this? We are planning on a release at the end of this week. We can build with the InstallShield X IDE, but that would be a pain as we put out several builds of our products.

MichaelU
05-19-2004, 10:31 AM
Hello Krvana,

I'm looking into this. The first thing you may wish to check is if there are any files missing from the standalone build output that are present in the IDE build.

Could you confirm for me whether this is an InstallScript MSI or pure InstallScript project?

Michael

kvrana
05-19-2004, 10:32 AM
It is an Installscript MSI project.

MichaelU
05-19-2004, 12:15 PM
I'm not seeing that behavior in my test - all three ways I can build (IDE, IsCmdBld, and IsSaBld) all yield skinned InstallScript MSI installers. I even tested the last on both Win2k and Win98SE.

Would it be possible for me to get your sample project that fails to display the skin?

kvrana
05-19-2004, 12:38 PM
Sure. The enclosed file was a test I was doing for an Admin install only. This is a project that I upgraded from IS9. I can include a new IS X version if you would like.

I can include our custom skin as well, but the standard skins were failing as well.

MichaelU
05-19-2004, 03:18 PM
I see it now, using a single exe compressed build. If an uncompressed build is an option for you, that may work around the problem immediately.

kvrana
05-19-2004, 03:55 PM
Is there any way to have an uncompressed single executable? The size of the file is not as important as having just one file.

kvrana
05-19-2004, 04:23 PM
Something that I noticed is that in C:\Program Files\Installshield X StandaloneBuild\Build there are a number of 0 byte length files including a number of *.dlls. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the standalone build to make sure that I have a clean install.

kvrana
05-19-2004, 05:25 PM
For a temporary work around, and please tell me how safe this is, I am using IS9 standalone build to build with the IS10 *.ism files. This appears to work fine, except the standalone builder wants to write to the *.ism file.

How safe is this?

Any idea on how long for a fix?

krishnaa
05-23-2004, 03:49 AM
I have same problem here , I have downloaded evaluation version of ISX and I want to customize the skins with my bitmaps on left and bottom , I downloaded the skin customization kit and created my skin , and as per instructions I placed that skin in DISK1 folder and pressed build , but installshield built his own skin.
I think this is problem with SINGLE_EXE_IMAGE type of build.

Can I use version 9 to customize skins ???

kvrana
05-24-2004, 08:23 AM
I have went back to the IS9 standalone builder to take care of the skin problem. I made the install scripts using IS10 and then use IS9 standalone build to make the installers. It has worked so far. Since InstallShield has duplicated the problem I would expect that a fix is probably not too far off.

krishnaa
05-24-2004, 11:11 AM
I got anather solution , I used installshield X to produce DISK1 folder, now I replace skin file and build single executable release file using Package for WEB... it looks great now , but still I think installshield should have option to include your custom skin in SINGLE_EXE_IMAGE (network image) type of build..

Anyway .... I got solution and I am happy with it.

MichaelU
05-24-2004, 04:57 PM
Hey guys,
Looks like we may have a case of the incorrect stub exe. It looks to me that replacing [StandaloneBuild]setup.exe with the one [StandaloneBuild]Redist\Langauge Independent\i386\setup.exe will fix all these errors. I've created work order 1-OCZWX so we fix this.

I've tested this workaround with Basic MSIs (to make sure it didn't break anything) and InstallScript MSIs (where it works), but my InstallScript builds seem to be broken even before I replace setup.exe, so test this before you depend on InstallScript builds. I'll post another note if I fix my builder and can test InstallScript.

Michael

kvrana
05-25-2004, 01:39 PM
That worked great. Thanks for the post.