PDA

View Full Version : Not getting the Disk Spanning Dialog

juniorgump
05-13-2004, 09:46 AM
All the help documentation I can find says that the Release Wizard for DevStudio 9 presents a Disk Spanning Dialog (presumably after the Media Type Dialog) which can be used to specify the desired settings for installations spanning multiple disks. However, when I run the Release Wizard on my InstallScript installation I am never presented with a Disk Spanning Dialog or any dialog that even mentions disk spanning. I've checked all the options I can set and I can't see any way to turn on this dialog for the wizard. Why don't I get this dialog and what can I do to set up my disk spanning options?

(As another piece of information, my installations currently build all to one disk image regardless of media and data sizes but separate my data into cabinet files of the appropriate size.)

RobertDickau
05-16-2004, 02:28 PM
I believe that panel of the Release Wizard is displayed only for MSI-based projects.

Stumpy
05-17-2004, 06:01 AM
Installscript projects are supposed to disk span automatically, aren't they? I'm having the same problem. Building a project will generate a number of temporary files of 650mb each, but all these files are generated in "\Disk Images\Disk1" and, once the build is finished, they are all merged into one massive (1.4GB) cab file which quite obviously won't fit onto a CD. Hence I get a "Media too small. Could not fit 'data2.cab' on disk 1" error (error 129). In desperation I've looked at the Direct Editor ISRelease table and found a couple of fields that could be useful. "DiskSpanning" appears to be set to 0 for my project, so I tried changing it to 1 (I think it's meant to be a boolean value) but this had no effect. I'm unsure of what "DiskSizeUnit" does, but I wonder if that might not be to blame in some way as it's currently 0.

juniorgump
05-17-2004, 04:21 PM
I've noticed since my initial post that if I change my build media to CDs (instead of DVDs) then it spans the disks fine, even though it takes up 10 CDs. But if I change only the media type (back to DVDs) then it doesn't span and instead gives me multiple cab files of the correct size but all in the Disk1 folder. I am still able to manually burn these different cab files on different DVDs and the installation works fine. This doesn't seem to be the case for you Stumpy. Have you tried building to different media types?

Stumpy
05-18-2004, 04:05 AM
I'm trying to build to CDs, which is what's failing. If I select custom media type and enter any value less than 1.5GB (the total for the install) it will fail with error 129. My "solution" to the problem was to set up InstallShield on a colleague's machine, copy all the data across, and do the build there. It worked fine. I must say I'm not entirely impressed with the disk spanning features. Best of luck sorting your problem out!

jimbo99
05-19-2004, 01:59 PM
I was getting the same message and what it seemed to be happening to me was that after Disk1 was filled up with the cab file, it tried to copy over the usual CD Root files (such as the autorun, the readme, DirectX Executable, etc.) and this was causing the error.

To prevent this happening I looked up the ISM file in notepad and in the Section ISDisk1File , I found the instructions to copy over these files and so I set them to be copied to Disk 2 instead of Disk 1, by changing the 1 to a -1. (1 means First Disk, -1 means Last Disk).
e.g.
<row><td>NewDisk1File68</td><td>&lt;PATH_TO_DISK1_FILES&gt;\autorun.inf</td><td>-1 </td></row>

Obviously I then had to copy all these autorun.exe, etc. files back to Disk 1, leaving Data3.cab as the only file on Disk2.

Stumpy
05-20-2004, 04:10 AM
That's a bit odd. I wonder why it does that? As a quick hacky fix can you not just reserve a few meg on the first disk (through Release Wizard->General Options->Advanced->Reserved Space) to alleviate this? With my build this doesn't work, though. It's basically building all the cabs to temporary files, then merging them together into one giant data2.cab which is way too big to fit on a CD.

jimbo99
05-20-2004, 05:19 AM
I discovered a problem with my fix. The installer still thinks those files (autorun,etc.) are on Disk2, so you need to have a copy of them on Disk1 and Disk2.