PDA

View Full Version : MS Office type feature tree

Tony Dixon
05-13-2004, 06:24 AM
i am looking for an example of the MS Office feature tree for my install, does any one have a dialog file example project that i can use...

:rolleyes: :D

Peerke
05-17-2004, 05:31 AM
This is a standard MSI dialog. If you choose a Custom install you'll see such a tree for your own product.

Tony Dixon
05-17-2004, 05:47 AM
I must of missed that in the dialog list or I you understand what I am looking for!

Please see attached image..

and if installshield X has one please tell me how to get to it..

johnludlow
05-17-2004, 06:02 AM
What project type do you have? If you have a Basic MSI project, you can include this from the Project Assistant - go to Installation Interview and select Yes for "Do you want users to be able to selectively install only certain parts of your application?"

However, if you are using an InstallScript MSI project, this dialog is not available. (You can have a dialog which allows users to select features in your setup, but it will have checkboxes not the drop-down menus like Office)

Tony Dixon
05-17-2004, 06:06 AM
:(

not happy.....

i am using a Install script, and there is not way to move this dialog over...:confused:

why are there some dialogs that can be used only in Basic MSI and others that are only in an Install Script ?

johnludlow
05-17-2004, 06:14 AM
Unfortunately not as far as I know - it's a native Windows Installer dialog.

InstallScript has been around for a long time - it was one of the first installation engines and as such was developed under a different premise to Windows Installer. While MSI was built from scratch to have certain features, Installscript has legacy issues to deal with.

Because of this, Installscript at the moment does not support some of the advanced features that MSI has (such as advertisement) very well. Therefore, it wouldn't make sense for the option for that to be in the UI. I believe that IS are considering whether to increase support for MSI features in InstallScript.

In the meantime, perhaps you could convert your project to Basic MSI?

Tony Dixon
05-17-2004, 06:25 AM
that not posible, as there are too many action to rewrite..

i'll just have to do it the old fashoned way..

johnludlow
05-17-2004, 06:43 AM
Yeah, I know what you mean.

Tony Dixon
05-17-2004, 09:03 AM
thanks for you help..
:cool: