PDA

View Full Version : shell32.dll problems

InstShld_Hoper
10-17-2001, 05:29 AM
Before I start, what happened to the old style newsgroup using the outlook express 5 engine? I liked that! Why have the old messages not been imported!?! :mad:
Anyway, when I install my VB app that's been compiled with IS Express 3.51, the windows 95 falls over like a man with no feet in a tip-toe competition. :D
The installation program does not give any errors. Yet, when I try and run almost any program I get an error message like: "The COMDLG32.DLL file is linked to missing export SHELL32.DLL:645." :confused:
My own program gives this error when I try and start it up: "Run-time Error: '339': Component 'COMDLG32.OCX or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid.

Now, I've included the CMDialog ActiveX Control DLL Merge Module and SHELL32.DLL is in ISWISCAN.INI. So why doesn't it work? It has worked on other systems (like 98 or a system with stuff like VB already installed). Please help.

Chandima
10-17-2001, 08:24 AM
Did you do a Static and Dynamice Scan of your VB Project? This might help catch all dependencies. When you say "Shell32.dll" is in ISWIScan.ini, you mean that was NOT added to your project right?

Looks like there is a system specific file that is messing things up on the Win95 machine. What are the files in the [SystemFolder] of your project?

JoelT
10-17-2001, 09:46 AM
InstShld_Hoper,

Also as an FYI, all of the InstallShield Express Newgroup posts have been brought over and archived on this site. They are listed under http://community.installshield.com in the Express Archives section.

InstShld_Hoper
10-18-2001, 08:20 AM
There are 5 files that are an older version on the target machine. These are:
advapi32.dll
comctl32.dll
comdlg32.dll
msvcrt20.dll
riched32.dll
If I take them out the system directory, my program doesn't work. I'm pretty sure the reason it doesn't work is because craxdrt.dll (a crystal reports file) requires these files (with the right version).
So how do I update the target system with these files without destroying it?
I tried downloading DUPS.exe from Microsoft but I can't unzip it. So I'm lost. And I'm not spending more money. I'm running out of time before the 30 days are up. I'm giving this 2 more days before I send your program back and go buy Wise instead.

Chandima
10-18-2001, 09:38 AM
What happens if you manually register this file on the target machine? Does your install work OK after that?

Since you do have Express 3.51, you should be able to download the Crystal Reports Merge Module (from Free) from our website. Try using them and see if they include a version of Comdlg32 that is compatible with Win95.

InstShld_Hoper
10-23-2001, 05:18 AM
Crystal Modules on your site? Where?

Chandima
10-25-2001, 08:50 AM
http://support.installshield.com/resource/default.asp?pm=cx&mode=submit

Click on the link under "Files and Utilities"