PDA

View Full Version : NNTP newsgroups vs. web community

Stefan Krueger
10-17-2001, 01:51 AM
Will the web based community replace the NNTP newsgroups? Or will they be synchronized in some way?

AdminJH
10-17-2001, 05:48 AM
Right now we are doing a production pilot with the Express Product Forums and a handful of beta program forums, and post production pilot we are planning on migrating the rest of the NNTP newsgroups here (along with their data, where required) and shutting down the news.installshield.com news server.

jcarver
10-24-2001, 12:29 PM
Jeff,
I discovered your reply to Stefan's question here, and your poll "Are web-based forums better than newsgroups?". I wondered why this poll, and your plans to discontinue the newsgroups, have not been posted to the newsgroups. I also wondered if there were others who felt, as I do, that the loss of the NNTP news discussion groups would make the open discussion about our work with the InstallShield products more difficult. I posted a question in one of the newsgroups* to see what some of the others felt. You might like to take a look at the responses.

Will you be making any announcements soon in the newsgroups concerning your plans?

John Carver

*I posted to installshield.developer7.general, just because it's the most active of the groups now. Subject: InstallShield will shut down their news server

AdminJH
10-24-2001, 01:17 PM
John, regarding your point "I also wondered if there were others who felt, as I do, that the loss of the NNTP news discussion groups would make the open discussion about our work with the InstallShield products more difficult. ", why wouldn't those open discussions be able to continue in this format (web-based forums)?

As far as making more announcements, the web-based forums are in production pilot right now, and though we are currently planning on migrating away from NNTP it is not as of yet set in stone.

I will make a visit to your newsgroup post.

jcarver
10-24-2001, 01:56 PM
I'm asked:
"Why wouldn't those open discussions be able to continue in this format (web-based forums)?"

Well I have to admit my statement was broad and unqualified. Certainly open discussion can continue in a web community. I just find it much more difficult. With good news reading software I can easily and quickly navigate and manage the viewing of messages, and respond. I do see features in this forum that could not be easily implemented in news, but they are largely things I see no need for. For me it is the content and usability that matters, not appearances.

I would not suggest that this forum will not be useful. It's just the idea of it replacing what has been a very useable tool for my work that I find upsetting.

John Carver

AdminJH
10-24-2001, 02:03 PM
John, understood. I will try and get much more information regarding NNTP usage prior to making any more 'elimination' statements. If I discover that it makes good business sense to keep certain newsgroups active on the NNTP server then that is what I will do. Thanks for the heads-up.

george
10-25-2001, 01:48 AM
I do not have any theoretical or highly emotional reasons for qualifying it, but have to say that I prefer the web based community.

Gale!!
10-26-2001, 07:59 AM
I too prefer the web community, and am looking forward to seeing the dev. 7 groups move here.

LewisQ
11-01-2001, 04:25 PM
You have to consider that many companies/government organs DO NOT allow access to newsgroups. This was a drag for the past four years since I was working for a government agency that wouldn't allow access.

So, I had to limit my access to after work if I had time.

The web based solution works much better for me and many others I know. However, I don't hink whatever teh IS guys decide will make everybody happy!:cool: