PDA

View Full Version : Vertial Line Control problem

Tim Mayert
05-10-2004, 10:47 AM
I need to know if this is a bug or the way the line control works.

I am working with a custom dialog box to create my own Tree control. I have to place mutliple horizontal and vertical lines on the dialog box to link all features and subFeatures up.

During design mode it looks okay. All lines and checkboxes show up properly. When I run the install all vertical lines are not shown. I checked the properties of each on and they look the same as the horizontal ones.

I then increased the size of the line from 1 to 2 just to make it bigger and still they do not show up. Is this a bug or does the line control only work for horizontal lines??????

If anyone know the answer to this or a solution I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks,

RobertDickau
05-11-2004, 08:27 AM
According to the MSI Help Library page "Line Control", the Line control is just for horizontal lines.

Tim Mayert
05-11-2004, 08:44 AM
That is not what I want to hear... I don't know why they only made it to be horizontal, does no one ever want to create a vertical line on there dialog boxes???

Okay that makes it harder to create my feature tree dialog with check boxes and subfeatures. I am attaching a bitmap that show how my dialog box looks in design mode, using the Line Control. Can anyone suggest how I can get vertial lines on this dialog box?

:confused:

RobertDickau
05-11-2004, 08:55 AM
Hmmm... Perhaps a Bitmap control displaying a vertical line?

Tim Mayert
05-11-2004, 09:16 AM
I'll try that, but I would like to request that the Line Control be updated to allow for both vertical and horizontal modes. This should not be hard to do, because the line supports both width and height parameters.

Having the line control support both would make things easier to do and less importing of bitmaps.

One thing to note: Why does InstallShield only support importing of bitmaps instead of other image types??? We need to place some transparent images on to some custom made dialog boxes, but can no import them.

There have been a lot of people asking to be able to import more than just bitmap formats since Developer 7 and I was wondering why this has not made it into version 10???

Thanks,

RobertDickau
05-11-2004, 09:27 AM
For a Basic MSI project, this (only horizontal line controls, displaying only bitmaps and JPEGs) is a limitation of the Windows Installer service...

Tim Mayert
05-11-2004, 09:29 AM
Version 3.0 of the Windows Installer will be coming out soon, do you know if they have added support for other image types?

Thanks,

RobertDickau
05-11-2004, 09:43 AM
Sorry, I'm not aware of any changes to the supported image formats; the what's-new-in-3.0 page is here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/msi/setup/what_s_new_in_windows_installer_version_3_0.asp...