PDA

View Full Version : Rollback installation?

mrodby
05-08-2004, 07:53 PM
I'm new to InstallShield, having used a version many years ago for a simple setup, but now need to use it for a much more complex setup. I have figured out the basics, but some of the more subtle points are eluding me.

My most pressing question right now is how to let a user move backwards from a later version of my product to an earlier version. I use the word "version" in a generic sense, since I'm not quite sure of the technical nuances between "build", "revision", "version", and other similar terms the way InstallShield uses them.

For example, if a user has updated from from 3.2 to 3.5, then encounters a problem with 3.5, is there any way to let the user remove the changes made when 3.5 was installed, and so be left with 3.2, or would the user need to uninstall the whole product and then install 3.2 as a new installation? To clarify, it would be best if each user would go back to the version they upgraded from, rather than always going to 3.2. For example, if another user has updated from 3.3 to 3.5, and then wants to uninstall 3.5, the result should be 3.3, not 3.2

Of course, the best answer is to not release 3.5 until it is solid, but there is no way we can test our product in all possible end-user situations, so I'm sure this will come up from time to time. I just need to know if there is something I can do when 3.5 is released to make it easier to go back in case something goes wrong.

johnludlow
05-09-2004, 05:02 AM
In this case you would need to reinstall the whole thing. In MSI 2.0 there is no way to undo upgrades. In MSI 3.0 there is, apparently, a way to undo patches, but not upgrades.

David Thornley
05-10-2004, 09:04 AM
John is correct. MSI 3.0 will introduce the ability to uninstall a patch. When Microsoft releases MSI 3.0 we will release an upgrade to InstallShield X that enables all of the new MSI 3.0 features.

mrodby
05-10-2004, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the info! Any idea when that update will be available?

David Thornley
05-10-2004, 11:12 AM
Our update will hopefully be within days of the MSI 3.0 release. All we need to do is some testing to verify our MSI 3.0 features. As to when MSI 3.0 will ship will have to refer you to Microsoft. It is not proper for me to comment on when their code will ship.

mrodby
05-10-2004, 11:22 AM
Just to make sure I've covered all the bases, this capability is not available in an InstallScript installation either, right? Or should I ask this in the InstallScript forum? Assuming that I can't do this in an InstallScript installation either, is there any plan to add that capability, or will it remain as only an option in MSI installations?

tylerr
05-10-2004, 01:35 PM
For now this is an MSI-only feature, but we're always looking for ways to improve the InstallScript engine as well. So if there are features only available as part of MSI that you would like to see in script as well, please let us know.

mrodby
05-10-2004, 02:19 PM
Thanks for all of your help.

I'll be very interested to see how they do this in MSI 3.0. If they do it well, I don't see any reason to need it in InstallScript. And in general, I think it would be very difficult to do it in InstallScript, with the vast flexibility that InstallScript offers the developer.