PDA

View Full Version : Autorun upon CD insert issue

burban
05-08-2004, 04:26 PM
I have created a Demo that is quite extensive. It is large (at least in our definition - 395M). We would like to "package" it via the Dist Wizard so that the viewer/user can put the disc in their tray and have it launch without the user having to navigate to their "My Computer" file in order to have to lauch this manually. Does the DemoShield 7.52 do this? Is there a way to make the demo automatically appear on the users screen without the user having to do nothing more then insert the disc? Also, we do not want the user to see all the different files (wav, mp3, doc, bmp, etc.) that were used to create the demo. Is there a way to hide these files from the users view? These are the files in the 'bin' folder.

Also, we packaged the demo using the Single Executable wizard and it worked to where the only icon showing was "DemoNAME.exe" but it took 20 minutes for it to extract the files so the viewer could see the demo. Is there a way to shorten this time AND "hide" the various files that were used in the making of the demo?

We have 400+ hours in the creation of the demo and it turned out very nice. However, now when it comes time to show it to the world, we cannot seem to do so without revealing all the contents, or if we attempt to hide the files, then we run into the time issue of the actual appearance of the demo on the hosts computer.

Any advice and help would be deeply appreciated! Bill

mcmg99
05-10-2004, 03:04 PM
Check out "Creating a Demo that Autoruns from a CD and Detects an Operating System" in Demoshield's Help.

Meditrain
05-17-2004, 01:59 PM
create a text file and rename it autorun.inf.

place this in the body of the inf file

[autorun]
open=setup.exe
icon=medit.ico
label=OE Demo

the open line = the name of the executable you created
icon = whatever icon you referenced in the package and deployment wizard
label = this is the cd volume label, it's the last step in burning a cd. call it whatever you want.

Include the autorun.inf file in your cd root directory with all the other setup and dbd files

Tim Mayert
05-19-2004, 01:27 PM
I have a slight twist on this issue.

Our CD Browser will launch properly when the CD is inserted, but now we want to make it so that if the product is detected as being installed on the system already that the CD will not be autolaunched.

Is this possible with the current DemoShield 7.5.2 version?

We are looking into this because under the Logo Requirements for XP if you have a CD Browser that open up when the CD is inserted to install an application that when done and the user re-inserts the CD that the auto-launch will NOT run again.

So if we want to be logo compilent then the CD can not auto-launch after the first time the product is installed.

Let me know if this is possible with the current DemoShield or do I have to do this some other way?

Thanks,

Meditrain
05-19-2004, 01:30 PM
I've also wondered about this. I think you have to scan the registry to check for installations but I haven't tried it yet

Keith Sheehan
05-25-2004, 02:52 PM
The easiest way to accomplish this task is to create an installation script that will detect the presense of a registry value the installation configures (such as the uninstall key).

If the script fails to detect this value, you can then have the script autorun the browser. If the script detects the value, you can have it launch some other application or have the script simply terminate.

Meditrain
05-26-2004, 06:39 AM
How would you go about creating that script you mentioned?

Keith Sheehan
05-26-2004, 10:14 AM
Using an InstallScript project in InstallShield X or DevStudio, you'd use the function RegDBKeyExist (http://helpnet.installshield.com/robo/projects/langref/LangrefRegDBKeyExist.htm) to check for the registry value and the LaunchApp (http://helpnet.installshield.com/robo/projects/langref/LangrefLaunchApp.htm) function to call the DemoShield player (demo32.exe), which will then open the demo project.