PDA

View Full Version : Error: Recently added feature not included in build

arthg9
05-07-2004, 03:54 PM
1. Organization | Setup Design
2. Setup Design | New Feature
3. Give the new feature a name
4. Insert a component (this step can be skipped and I'll still have a missing feature)
5. Feature properties: Visible=Yes; Include in Build=Yes (verify these defaults)
6. Verify the new feature is selected in the Complete and Custom Setup Types.
7. Save and build

This is the same technique I've used in the past (I think!) to add new features. But:

The new feature is not included in the build! :mad:

When running the setup, it does not appear in the features list displayed by SdFeatureTree.

Not installed by complete install.

Log file does not include an entry similar to the other features that *do* work:
Feature: <New feature name>
Component: <component 1 name>
Component: <component 2 name>
Component: <component 3 name>

I've attempted a lot of different things to work around this
- Save as to a new project name
- With and without components included with the feature
- Move the feature in the feature order
- Toggle settings such as "Include in build" with saves in between settings
- Retrieve original file from version control and try again (and again...)
- variations

Am I forgetting something obvious?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or workarounds.

Art

RichAquino
05-24-2004, 03:01 PM
Hi,

Are you still experiencing this issue? If not, what did you do to resolve it?

Rich

arthg9
05-24-2004, 03:18 PM
Yes, I am still experiencing this issue.
We had to sacrifice the preferred design in order to move ahead.

If there is a way to correct this, I may be able to roll back some changes and implement the "feature tree" the way we want it before shipping.

Thanks.

Art

RichAquino
05-24-2004, 03:35 PM
Hi Art,

I would suggest using the cabinet file viewer (tools -> installscript -> cab file viewer) after you build to look for your feature. It's possible that it's hidden.

Another possibility is that the features are deselected in the release settings.

Rich

arthg9
05-27-2004, 09:33 AM
Thank you for the reply.

By hidden, do you mean the Visible property for the feature is "No"? This is not the case.

What would I check in the DevStudio IDE to determine if the feature is deselected in the release settings?

Thanks.

Art

RichAquino
05-27-2004, 11:06 AM
Hi Art,

You'd check that in the release wizard. It can be launched from the toolbar or the releases view.

Rich

arthg9
05-27-2004, 11:50 AM
Thank you Rich!

That was the breakthrough I needed!

I did not realize or notice that there were settings that are only accessible through the Release Wizard. I assumed the wizard was to help you get a release set up initially, then you would have access to all the possible settings through the various property sheets. So I failed to revisit the wizard in my hunt for a solution.
Bad assumption!

Now I need to decide whether to actually take advantage of this new information at this late stage in our product development cycle...

Regards,

Art