PDA

View Full Version : InstallShield Crashes with VB Project

martindurant
05-05-2004, 04:58 AM
Hi,
I am new to InstallShield and am trying to create an install project for my VB app. When I run the Visual Basic Wizard, InstallShield crashes. I downloaded an evaluation copy of InstallShield last night and am running it under XP.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks

Martin Durant

David Thornley
05-05-2004, 08:50 AM
I'm not aware of any issues with the Visual Basic wizard. When there is an unhandled exception in the IDE you should be prompted to e-mail the call stack to us. If you have chosen that option we will be able to diagnose and fix this based on the call stack information.

You can also post the call stack here if you wish.

martindurant
05-05-2004, 09:02 AM
When InstallShield crashes, it simply disappears off the screen. No error messages or anything. By playing around, I have got the Visual Basic Wizard to run all the way through by building a simple vb app. that doesn't use ADO or Crystal Reports.

Thanks.

David Thornley
05-05-2004, 09:20 AM
I believe there is a problem with a Crystal Reports 8.5 DLL creating circular dependencies. This causes an unhandled exception in the dependency scan.

I will see what I can do about getting this fixed for you. In the meantime, you could create a VB Project without this reference just for the purpose of using the VB Scanner and then turn on crystal reports in the Redistributable view.

Sorry for any inconvenience this has caused.

martindurant
05-05-2004, 01:45 PM
I have followed your advice and managed to build an install application. What's more I managed to install it on the target PC and start the app. Still got some errors to iron out, but I'm making progress. Thanks for your help.

Martin