PDA

View Full Version : Import projects from previous version of InstallShield

Tim Mayert
05-04-2004, 08:34 AM
Can InstallShield X import projects from other versions of InstallShield?

I have a Basic MSI project built in DevStudio 9 and I was going to import it into InstallShield X, but did not see how/where to do this.

Can this not be done?

Thanks,

David Thornley
05-04-2004, 09:05 AM
I don't believe that there exists functionality to convert a Basic MSI project file to a Universal Installer project file. Is that what you are looking for? You can, however, simply open your ISM in the Windows (non-Universal) IDE and it will upgrade automatically.

bobcorrigan
05-04-2004, 10:32 AM
A quick primer:

ISMP Projects --> Open in the InstallShield X Universal IDE. You can start the Universal IDE independently via the shortcut under the Tools directory in the main InstallShield folder, or by selecting/creating a ISMP/Universal project from within the InstallShield X IDE.

Developer/Professional/DevStudio Projects --> Open in the InstallShield X IDE.

Does this help?

bob corrigan
installshield x universal product manager

Tim Mayert
05-04-2004, 11:12 AM
Yes, I found it.

The problem was that I automatically went into the "InstallShield\InstallShield X Tools" group and only saw the "InstallShield X Universal IDE" shortcut so I thought that was the one I was to start.

Since I have installshield 7, 8, 9 and now 10 installed on my machine the main icon folder was full and therefore I did not see the "InstallShield X" and the "InstallShield X for Visual Studio .NET 2003" shortcuts.

As a suggestion you should have all the application icons go under the same group so it is easier to find them.

Thanks,