PDA

View Full Version : Error 1611, Windows 2003 desktop

druben
05-04-2004, 07:42 AM
Hi,

This is a strange problem and not one that can be easily reproduced. I've been trying to figure this one out for a couple days all together. Here's what we're doing...

We have a Developer 7 install (a Basic MSI project) which we OEM. To brand the install, we created a small MFC application (install.exe), which uses MSI automation and an .ini file defining the placeholders and replacement strings within specific tables of the .MSI DB. This process works terrific. We then package the product with the .ini and the branding executable into a PFW single executable. Install.exe gets run when the package is uncompressed and upon branding completion, Setup.exe is run to start the product setup.

This works great running from a Windows 2000 desktop, and in most cases it works from a Windows 2003 desktop. On a couple of 2003 servers, the install has to be run from the Add/Remove programs applet in order to install. Otherwise an error occurs after the branding and before the "Install Conditions" are able to be checked; the error is "1611: Unable to extract the file path\filename.msi" (where path\filename.msi is the install's msi file).

I've tried to get MSI to generate a log file to capture this error, but it never generates when running the single executable. If I were to run the uncompressed setup after it has been branded, a log file is generated and setup runs. I've checked the Installer policies to see if there are any policies preventing the install from running and they appear the same as on systems that work OK.

There is plenty of disk space and the user running the install has administrator permissions. The more I write about this, perhaps I'm looking in the wrong direction. Maybe the problem is in Package For the Web.

Has anyone run into a similar situation? I'm running out of ideas.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

druben
05-07-2004, 09:33 AM
I stumbled on the problem while testing. In our application that brands the MSI, Setup.exe was called prior to releasing pointers to the MSI automation objects. Our QA test lab has some really beefy servers for testing, unlike my slower servers. On the QA Windows 2003 server, Setup.exe was launching quicker and attempting to access the MSI DB before it was being closed. My servers are slow enough that this doesn't occur.

The fix was to release the pointers prior to launching Setup.exe.

hellokarl
06-04-2004, 12:27 AM
One of our reps also gets this error when installing on a fast laptop. It also doesn't occur when installing through Add/Remove Programs control panel. Anyone got a good hypothesis for why is it so?

Karl:confused: