PDA

View Full Version : Batch installation of self-registeting files

havard
05-04-2004, 12:03 AM
I try to install self-registeting files by so called bach method which
means registering all such files after their installation. So I do it like in InstallShield 5.0 version which I use befor. I.e. I call Enable(SELFREGISTERBATCH); befor function FeatureTransferData and Do(SELFREGISTRATIONPROCESS); after. But I observe that all files register during the working of the function FeatureTransferData and the Do function does nothing.
Could anyone explain me what I do wrong and what shell I do to implement this method.
Thank you.

Mark at IS
05-04-2004, 07:19 AM
As stated in the help for FeatureTransferData, "When you call FeatureTransferData, Do (SELFREGISTRATIONPROCESS) is called automatically after the files are installed but before the call returns." (I have entered InstallShield work order 1-N03QJ to add this information to the Do topic.)

havard
05-04-2004, 08:15 AM
Then why in some setups during the installation I have problems with registration/unregistration of files with description "Specifyed module could not be found". I think the reason is incorrect order of installation/remove of files. Isn't it ?
I red in this forum that I can give the order of installation of files by modifying Files table in Direct Editor, but when I tried it didn't help me. What can I do for avoiding this problrm ?

Mark at IS
05-04-2004, 09:24 AM
I'm afraid I don't know the solution to your problem. You can submit a technical support request to our support staff at https://mysupport.installshield.com/login.asp.

soulMiner
05-05-2004, 10:05 AM
Mark,

Wouldn't his issue be solved if he paid close attention to which files were dependent on which other ones, using something like - "Dependency Walker." Then he could use that to appropiately separate those files into parent-child features, and order them properly.

Would that take care of the problem?

--RRS