PDA

View Full Version : Evaluating InstallShield X for a SQL-based Web App

mbklein
05-02-2004, 10:35 PM
Hey everyone,

I'm currently evaluating InstallShield X for use with a SQL-based web app that we're deploying. Ideally, I'd like to have the installer:[list=1]
Display a list of virtual web sites on the target machine
Have the user select one
Prompt for a virtual directory name
Create the desired directory under the selected site
Prompt for a SQL Server name
Prompt for the SQL Server user credentials
Create the database on the target SQL Server
[/list=1] I've searched the knowledge base and forum, and I've seen others asking about items 1-4 (the IIS stuff), but I haven't seen any real useful responses. This is probably the part that's really going to make or break the decision on whether to go with InstallShield X or stick with our existing custom installer.

I feel fairly confident about being to accomplish items 5-7 (the SQL Server stuff) from looking at the InstallShield X interface and docs, but I thought I'd ask for pointers anyway.

Thanks!
Michael

johnludlow
05-03-2004, 06:46 AM
Did you have a look at this topic:

http://community.installshield.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=126395

Rasmusmoller's second post might be of interest.

David Thornley
05-03-2004, 08:28 AM
The SQL Server functionality in InstallShield 10 will handle your requirements by default.

As for displaying a list of IIS Web Servers you would have to write some custom code to populate a custom dialog at runtime. There is nothing baked into our IIS Solution that does this for you. The link that John Ludlow posted for you has a very good description on how you can accomplish this.

Populating a custom dialog at runtime is not at all difficult. I'm sure you will find that you can satisfy all of your needs.

mbklein
05-03-2004, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the responses! Now, I'm about to ask a completely N00B question. I know scripting and ADSI really well, and the example makes total sense, so the populating the combo box part isn't going to be a problem. But once they've selected an item from the dropdown, how do I make sure their entry gets recognized as the Web Site to use? Is there a field in the IIS Setup part of the IDE where I can drop in my variable name and have it automatically replaced? Or am I going to have to jump through some more scripting hoops?

Thanks,
Michael

David Thornley
05-03-2004, 08:54 AM
In MSI the input controls on dialogs all set properties. You define this property in the dialog editor when you create the control.

In the IIS view your web site name can simply be this property and at runtime it will resolve.

mbklein
05-03-2004, 09:08 AM
Great, thanks. I've been using an old-style non-MSI install tool for so long now that it's going to take me a while to wrap my head around MSI concepts. It's starting to come together, though, and I look forward to entering the 21st century Real Soon Now. :)

Michael