PDA

View Full Version : Extracting from Cab File

sreeramg
04-28-2004, 01:51 PM
Hi,

Here is a scenario. I have a regular setup which works great. I need a setup that can run on the machines with low low user previleges (ex: that is Guest accounts on XP machines etc.,)

For that I need a setup, but seems like I could not run the Install shield Setup with Guest accounts on XP Machines.

So I decide to write a batch file to just get the program modules from my data1.cab and data2.cab etc.,. Seems like they are not the regular Winzip files and I cannot extract them. Looked for documentation and saw that ISCab.exe can be used ? But could not get it to work? My questions are here

1. How to make a install that can work with Guest accounts (on XP machines?)

2. How to extract the Cab file program modules?

3. Can we redistribute IsCab.exe, if so how and what are the supporting Dll's we need?

thanks
-Sreeram

sreeramg
05-11-2004, 01:39 PM
any clues??

dbriggs
05-12-2004, 08:23 AM
There is no fundamental restriction that requires a DS9 Setup to run with Administrator privileges. However, if your Setup needs to install drivers or files into Windows or Program Files directories, then it will need privileges on XP and later because these are protected.

All of my Setups fall into this category, so I put a check for privilege early in the Script and warn the user and exit if they are not privileged.

Hope that helps,

David

P.S. MSI Setups include a mechanism for making privileged changes from a non-privileged user account.