PDA

View Full Version : User encountering "Error reading file Too many open files in system." dialog

BrightonGuy
04-21-2004, 04:24 PM
I have a user that, when installing our product which is built using InstallShield Professional 7 and vBuild 2.1, receives the following error half way during the Scouting phase:

"Error reading file Too many open files in system."

He is able to reproduce this problem. Any ideas what is causing it? We've been using vBuild for a while now, and it is the first time I have seen this type of failure.

He was able to install the same version of the product from CD, which does not utilize vBuild compression.

Attached is a screenshot.

Alon
04-25-2004, 01:06 AM
Does it happen to any user or just this one? Can this user try to restart his machine and then install (thus making sure that he does not have any other application which utilizes all system resources for open file handlers)?

In order to understand this we need the media and also any other media used to install before this media in order to have the same setup (meaning we need to have the same base version). If serial numbers are needed to install any of the versions, we also need this. If u need to interact me directly to FTP the media (to our FTP server or yours), use alon@redbend.com

Alon.

BrightonGuy
04-25-2004, 01:20 AM
Only the one user is receiving this error message on one machine. Other users are able to use the same media to install successfully. Rebooting the system does not help the situation.

Alon
04-25-2004, 09:01 AM
It seems that the problem happens to this user and not to others (even after a reboot) since his machine is a relatively low end machine. So, in order to reproduce the problem, in addition to the media and setup we will also need a description of the end-user machine. In addition, when the problem occurs, we need the end-user to open the task manager, move to the Performances tab, and send a screen shot of it.

Alon.