PDA

View Full Version : reinstalling software

sqlpro
04-04-2004, 10:27 PM
Hi friends

i am using installshield 3.5 for our visual foxpro applications.
it has been working great but
when i run setup on machine where there is already our software installed i get following message

"Another Version of this Product Is Already Installed. Installation of This Version Cannot Continue. "

and i've to uninstall our existing software using add/remove programs and then click setup again.
i am wondering is there any way i could configure installshield so that it does abv task for me.
i mean if there is already our software installed it should reinstall.
Thanks for ur idea :)

sqlpro
04-05-2004, 12:45 AM
i found following link to get around abv problem
http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?pcode=ALL&articleid=Q107993

it says ...
1) Go to <DRIVE>\Program Files\InstallShield\Express\Support and locate the Setup.ini file.

2) Under the [Startup] section in the setup.ini file, set the CmdLine to:
CmdLine = REINSTALLMODE=amus
3)Save the changes made to the Setup.ini file and rebuild your compressed release to ensure that these changes are included in the setup, as this updated setup.ini file will be included in the setup.exe file.

4) After deploying your release, be sure to revert the Setup.ini file in the <DRIVE>\Program Files\InstallShield\Express\Support location back to its original state, i.e., delete the changes made to the Setup.ini file.

it works fine but comes up (i mean try to reinstall) screen with options Modify ,Repair,remove and user has to select repair to get latest installation.
but i dont want that screen to come up it should automatically update the installation .
any ideas plz?
Thanks

John Overland
04-06-2004, 03:11 PM
Try changing the product ID for the installation. With a new
product ID the message you are getting will not appear.
Good Luck

sqlpro
04-06-2004, 03:30 PM
Thanks John.
Finally It worked :)