PDA

View Full Version : Launch condition always fails

Richieboi
04-01-2004, 05:46 AM
Really simple stuff - I'm trying to set up a requirement with a launch condition that checks to see if Word 97 is installed on the users machine before continuing with the install. This I have tried to do by selecting Requirements and creating a new launch condition with the following settings:

System search type: Registry entry, that contains a folder.

Registry root: HKEY_CURRENT_USER
Registry key: Software\Microsoft\Office\8.0\Word
Registry value:

The Registry value I left blank. Entered a message to display if not found (I set the radio button to Found) and Finish.

Then check the box to a green tick, build and run. The result is that it cannot find Word 97?

Reading a few other threads of a similar nature I see that the Value field, if left blank, can be a problem with Windows Installers as it requires a value to continue and think this may be the case here. However there is no value I can put into this field as the registry entry for Word is not set. Should I maybe try upgrading to Express 5? Any ideas much appreciated. thanx.

TsungH
04-01-2004, 11:45 AM
In my opinion, it's a limitation in MSI. Upgrading to Express 5 will not help much.

You will need to identify a different registry value to use. Other approaches are to use the location of the file, or to write a custom action.

Richieboi
04-02-2004, 05:02 AM
Thanks for that. I have actually just managed to get this working by using HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE as opposed to HKEY_CURRENT_USER. This then gives me the alterrnative registry key 'SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\8.0\Word\InstallRoot' and an available registry value of 'Path'. This now works fine.

However I have now decided to just look for Microsoft Office instead of a specific version of Word. This brings me back to the problem of a missing value as there is not one for the registry key 'SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office'.

The easiest thing to do I know is to just use the file path for Microsoft Office but concerned that some users may of installed to a different location. Or as you say I could write a custom action to look for the registry key. Will look into this. Thanx