PDA

View Full Version : What's with all the extra baggage?

beaudetious
03-25-2004, 11:01 AM
I'm new to using InstallShield so forgive my ignorance. However, I'm using InstallShield Express 5 and using it in Visual Studio .NET 2003. When all is said and done, where I'm placing the build files contains a setup.exe, an .msi file and several directories including program files, Common Files Folder, System32, Global Assembly Cache Folder.

I typically place all of this on a CD and take it to my customers for installation.

My question is this: Do I need all of this or only the Setup.exe? And what's the difference between the .exe and the .msi? Which should I actually use?

Basic questions but necessary ones for us new users. Thanks.

deepas
03-26-2004, 01:03 AM
There are various kinds of releases. The one that you are using is an uncompressed release. This is why you can see lots of these other folders. These folders contain the files that you have included in the setup. They are necessary for InstallShield Express to install the files to the target machine.

If you do not want these folders to be created, then you can create a compressed release. This release will stream all the files into a single setup.exe file. TO create a compressed release go to Prepare For release -> Build your release. The center panel lists the different type of builds available. Right click on Single Image -> Build. This will create only the setup.exe.

The msi, is the file that actually contains all the dialogs and the sequences for installing the files, creating registry entries and other such actions. The setup.exe is a wrapper around the msi. It is preferred that you use the setup.exe.