PDA

View Full Version : Can not remove shortcuts after uninstall!

temp_12000
03-24-2004, 12:22 PM
I'm using InstallShiled to build TWO install packages for two softwares. The shortcuts I created for them are: 1) company name ==> Game 1 ==> notep;
and 2) company name (same as in 1) ===> Game 2 ===> wordp. If I install both of them on the same machine, everything is ok. However, if I uninstall one of them, for example 2), the uninstall removed everything related with 2) except the shortcuts. So, after uninstall 2), users can still see the shortcuts of 2) including 'company name', 'game 2', and 'wordpad'. Of course, users can not run 2) by clicking 'wordp' since it has been removed.

what should I do, so that if users uninstall 2), the shortcuts will be removed too?

thanks

veebeefive
03-28-2004, 03:52 PM
You say you have 2 separate packages to install. Sounds like they are both putting the same shortcuts on the start menu/desktop. When the install removes the object pointed to by the shortcut it will remove it unless it was effectively duplicated by another installation.

You should only include the shortcuts specific to your application in the package.

Also, check the install and upgrade codes are unique for each installation (common mistake is to copy the install project from one package to another and forget to change the GUID for the packages)

Carl.

temp_12000
03-29-2004, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by veebeefive
You say you have 2 separate packages to install. Sounds like they are both putting the same shortcuts on the start menu/desktop. When the install removes the object pointed to by the shortcut it will remove it unless it was effectively duplicated by another installation.

Carl.

thank you very much. I figured out that it is because when I built the second project, I copied the first project file directly. Although I changed GUID and update ID, and changed related files, the generated setup EXE still thinks they are the same install. So, now I built the second project from the beginning, then everything is ok.

thanks again.

temp