PDA

View Full Version : Old version "seems" to install

dcolucc
03-22-2004, 05:31 PM
When I install an older version with a newer version installed, the installation seems to work properly, but no files are updated. This is a good thing, but the add/remove programs now has two versions of the software (bad thing).

Ideally, when a user tries to install an older version, I would like the installation to tell the user that a newer version is already installed and quit the installation, or at the very least not show 2 versions of the software in the add/remove programs.

I am keeping the upgrade code the same and generating a new version number. Also, I never have a problem when installing a new version over an older one.

Thanks,
dcolucc

veebeefive
03-22-2004, 06:47 PM
In the installer for the older version what did you set for the maximum and minimum version numbers? The MSI should detect the version and warn the user....:confused:

There may be a script file knocking around that can find an existing version of the executable, check the version number and return an error status if older.

Carl

dcolucc
03-22-2004, 06:56 PM
In the old version (ver. 1.00.0017), I used a min of 1.00.0000 and a max of 1.00.0016. The new version is 1.00.0018.

veebeefive
03-22-2004, 07:02 PM
Hi,

Another workaround is to create a small exe or DLL that specifically looks for a version level on the critical files and compares them with its 'hard coded' version. This would serve as a good check. The return status would end the install.

You can create simply show a dialog in your dll/exe to the user informing of the failed check and installshield will quit on the error value returned.

Carl.

dcolucc
03-22-2004, 07:54 PM
Thanks. I will try that.