PDA

View Full Version : Error Code 2203

aglaizal
03-21-2004, 05:01 PM
Hi,

My setups works very well for hundreds of users ...
But One of my users, only one, encounters a windows Installer error:
Internal Error 2203. C:\WINDOWS\Installer\124132.ipi, -2147287035

Installer is unable to remove old version and so it can't install the new version ...
We have tried all the solutions found on differents forums ... unsuccessfully ...

Could you tell me how to manually uninstall the old version, using regedit , deleting files and/or folders ....

thanks in advance

Alain

veebeefive
03-22-2004, 06:42 PM
BACKUP YOUR REGISTRY FIRST! AND TAKE A SYSTEM RESTORE POINT IF AVAILABLE (XP)

The only way I know is to find out the Product ID GUID and Update GUID, then search the registry for these. And remove them.

Usually located in

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\<Product GUID>

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\UpgradeCodes\<Upgrade GUID>

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Products\<Product GUID>

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\UpgradeCodes\<Product GUID>

You will also see upon inspection the locations on disk that the installer has put system required files for the installer database etc.

You will also see that MSI has created GUID references internally, these will need to be resolved and removed too... These include components that you have created and installed, although these need not be removed, they will be replaced with the new install.

At this point most will actually shy away!

Second, remove any registry entries for the program itself, unless they are still required.

Look for the application name in the registry too, as the Control Panel applet for add/remove programs will maintain a list. This will need to be cleared to remove it from the list manually.

Also, check for any instances of installer folders (hidden system folders for the MSI in windows system subfolders) - see registry above

Run regclean from microsoft about 4 times (daft I know) but it seems to take this many before it stops finding errors!

This is delving into the dark bowels of MSI and windows....and could get messy if not done with care.

If you have any problems, you can simply restore the regfiles and revert to the system restore or restore the backup registry.

I told you it was messy! :D

Hope this helps.

Carl.

veebeefive
03-22-2004, 07:03 PM
Incidently the error code refers to the fact that the installer database is missing/corrupted. Usually where the windows directory has been cleared down or folders removed accidentally.

Carl.

aglaizal
03-23-2004, 01:32 PM
Thanks for your help,

Finally my user resolved the problem by executing a script named

installerlogging.vbs

He found it on the site

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Now it's OK Install works well , Upgrade works well

Wonderful

Alain