PDA

View Full Version : Help with localizing a demo

anthonyl
03-17-2004, 09:21 PM
Hi all,

I just started using DS7.52 (SP2) and am having trouble localizing my demo. I've been searching the boards but it seems like I'm doing the right thing. But, I just can't get it to work.

Basically, I did the following (names have been changed to protect the innocent):

1) created AGame.dbd
2) exported the text to AGame.txt
3) translated the text as follows:

[AGame.dbd]
ENU=
FRA=
[ENU.Main.b_quit]
Type=3
Data=Quit
Tooltip=
Font=Arial
Point Size=20

[FRA.Main.b_quit]
Type=3
Data=Quitter
Tooltip=
Font=Arial
Point Size=20

4) Saved the file as an ANSI text file and put it in the same directory as demo32.exe and AGame.dbd.
5) Imported the AGame.txt
6) Saved AGame.dbd
7) Distributed via distribution wizard.

When I try the demo on a French machine (French OS and regional settings set to French (France)), I still only get the English text in the quit button.

I've verified that AGame.txt is in the same directory as AGame.dbd and demo32.exe on the CD.

In the same demo, I have an event that checks the system language to see if it is FRA. It changes the "target" of "Launch Application" of one of my buttons to a French readme. That event works as advertised. So it seems that the demo at least knows that the language is FRA. But none of the text on my buttons are displaying in French.

Anyone have any idea what I am missing?

Thanks in advance!
Tony

tstadheim2
03-18-2004, 10:24 AM
Did you try creating your French file on a French machine?

anthonyl
03-18-2004, 02:00 PM
All the translations were done on the cooresponding language OS. But then they had to be combined into the one txt file. 7.x doesn't use the separate .dat files that 6.x did, as far as I know.

After spending a lot more time on this, I have been able to narrow it down to the "Save Demo Data In:" property. If I set this to <WINDIR>, nothing will be localized. If I remove that (ie. don't set it to anything), the demo will be localized.

Edit: Actually, setting this to any directory will cause the problem.

Anyone have any idea why that property would prevent the demo from being localized?

If you're curious, I'm using that property to create/store an AGame.ini file in the Windows directory. I use it to store variable so that the splash screen can enable/disable buttons based on whether or not the game is installed. I'd think this was fairly routine though...

Thanks!
Tony