PDA

View Full Version : Customer information not working

Malaidas
03-17-2004, 01:07 PM
Hi all

How do you get projects writen in Express to put the custmer information into the installer registry entries.

I know it should go to regOwner and regCompany however when my installer runs, these entries are missing.

I can't find any option in installshield to do this. Do we need to write a custom DLL?

thanks in advance for any help

Stephen Whipp
Eastmond Publishing Ltd. (UK)

TsungH
03-17-2004, 02:19 PM
regOwner? regCompany? Can you rephrase your question? Or provide a screenshot of how you are doing it now? BTW, are you using Express 4 or 5?

Malaidas
03-18-2004, 09:38 AM
I'm using Express 5

regOwner and regCompany are the entries the windows installer writes to the registry for the internal variables
[USERNAME] and [COMPANYNAME]

They should end up in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Products\ProductCode
(UnderXP at least)

However when I run my installer these entries are missing

We need access to these for our about box, which currently we do by manually writing the entries the registry. However this doesn't work for distributed installs etc.

Hope this explains things a bit

Thanks again
Stephen Whipp
Eastmond Publishing Ltd. (UK)

TsungH
03-18-2004, 12:33 PM
I looked at the registry on my machine. Most of the packages installed have those information. I do not know what makes it one way, not the other.

When the properties are not set in Property table, Windows Installer sets them automatically using values from the registry. I would verify the value of these properties during installation, and see what they hold. An installation log will reveal the same information.

Here is another registry key, HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\, that will contain registered user and company name.

I am sorry that I can't be more of assistance on this matter.

veebeefive
03-19-2004, 09:18 AM
Could you not simply set these values in the installer. Under the registry keys section add all the values and structure you need, referencing session variables using the [INSTALLDIR] for exampe.

I usually set these values anyway, so future updates can find the currently installed product locations easily, only need to search when absolutely necessary.

Cant see why you couldnt set the owner variables manually and check if it works that way.