PDA

View Full Version : Dialog to specify where to create shortcuts?

chocolates
03-12-2004, 04:58 AM
In Installshield Express 5.0, is there a dialog box that allows the user to change where they want the shortcut to be placed in their Start Menu?

There is a "Select Program Folders" dialog box in Installshield Express 2.0 that allowed you to do this, but I can't find this same dialog box in 5.0.... Is this just not available???

Ajay Ghatpande
03-15-2004, 05:39 AM
You can mention the Shortcut in the "Shotcuts/Folders" pane, you can create a new folder by your company name etc. & give the shortcut of exe. or your program by right clicking on the 'Programs Menu'.

bye
- Ajay

chocolates
03-15-2004, 06:48 PM
thanks Ajay

but that window creates the default shortcut - my question was whether there is another dialog window that (during installation)allows the user to choose where to put the shortcut?

veebeefive
03-19-2004, 09:30 AM
I also have this, and there is no plans to change it. You will need to create a custom dialog which is not possible in Express.

there is a workaround but it will not be graceful. That is to create different install methods where the difference is the shortcut location. All the files etc are installed on each install type but shortcut will be unique. That way the user can select the shortcut location - sort of....

Like I said, it isnt the sweetest method. you will need developer to create custom stuff.

chocolates
03-21-2004, 10:24 PM
thanks veebeefive - that's the info I was looking for

it's a shame they had that dialog box in version 2.0 - why can't they have that in version 5.0 .......

veebeefive
03-22-2004, 04:30 AM
If you ask me it is so they force us to go out and buy developer.....just to have an optional shortcut. The built in installer in .net allows you to have options dialogs, you pick from various assortment of radio buttons and checkboxes and name them, then you simply reference the names you give them as actions.

Why don't they have that in Installshield Express? Hmmm...we have to put our hand in our pockets....

Yet again...:(

AlTheEldr
03-23-2004, 05:50 AM
Perhaps one reason for the disappearance of the dialog is that Microsoft standards for XP have evolved from previous versions of Windows. I believe that they are fairly insistant that you install start menus short cuts under Program Files | Company Name | [Product Name].

See the relevant documentation for getting certified for XP for more information.

chocolates
03-24-2004, 02:13 AM
It's a fair point but it's also annoying...

the installer i'm building is used to install several instances of the same program...
now everytime we install the program, the shortcuts get overwritten :(

sunlight125
08-26-2004, 02:05 PM
So is there a way to change the default directory (company name/product name) structure for the shortcuts and how?

Thanks.

chocolates
08-26-2004, 06:38 PM
Not using Installshield express, I'd say in any other package like developer, you would be able to change the shortcut name.

sunlight125
08-27-2004, 07:27 AM
Thanks chocolates. It doesn't make any sense that someone will remove the feature into the new version.