PDA

View Full Version : cannot upgrade previous installation

valiot
03-02-2004, 02:20 AM
This was working fine in IS4. I upgraded an installation to IS5. Now, for some reason, no matter what I put for product code and product version, I always get a dialog to "modify, fix or remove" when I re-install my new setups.

It seems that the new setup I build retains the old product code or upgrade code. I'm not sure.

Normally, when you change product code and version, the new install should just upgrade the previous (uninstall and full install). This is what I want but it doesn't happen. Is it possible that I have a corrupt install?

Thank You

boaz954
03-09-2004, 07:02 PM
Hi,

I have been messing with these kind of problems all day.

This is what I do.

1) Uninstall the program
2) Look for and delete all entires from the Registry with the Product Code and Update Code
3) Look for and delete all the files and folders with the Product Code and Update Code from the hard drive
4) Run Norton to check for any error
5) Reinstall the program
6) From now on, there should not be any problem re-installing, updating, upgrading, etc., etc.

valiot
03-09-2004, 07:20 PM
I resolved my problem.

I had to rebuild (from scratch) my installshield setup. I think there was a bug in the database and the new version# and product GUID was not written into the setup file. This setup file was an upgrade from 4.0 to 5.0. I think it got corrupt in the upgrade?

Anyway I re-created it from scratch now it works.