PDA

View Full Version : Running a custom action from the CD

micham
02-18-2004, 03:07 PM
Hi,
I am using IS Express 4.01. In my project I have a custom action that executes a setup.exe program and installs a 3rd party product.
I would like to run this setup program without copying the entire 3rd party setup program to the hard disk. Is it possible?

The reason: the 3rd party product contains 300MB space and it takes a long time during the installation to copy all of these files to disk.

Can I run the action without copying the files to the hard disk?
Thanks!
Micha.

Will J.
02-18-2004, 05:46 PM
One option would be to create the custom action with a Source Location of Browse File System. This will not install the third party setup to the target system but will instead include it within your installation.

micham
02-19-2004, 01:09 AM
Hi Will,
Thanks for the answer! Will the action (setup.exe) start automatically? or, will the user have to browse the file system and find the 3rd party setup.exe on the CD?

Thanks!
Micha.

Will J.
02-19-2004, 10:06 AM
The custom action setup will start without user intervention. Only the setup author needs to browse the target system to find the file. Once it has been added to the setup the end user will not need to browse to the file. To test this out you may want to try adding a custom action that launches notepad. Hope this helps.

micham
02-20-2004, 07:19 AM
Hi,
Thanks for your reply!
Can you please tell me what should be the other parameters?
What should be the file name assuming the 3rd part installaion is invoked via the setup.exe which is on the CD?
Do I need teh "Command line" parameter?

See attached jpeg.
Thanks!
Micha.