PDA

View Full Version : Order of Custom Actions Feature Request

jcullison
02-13-2004, 11:50 AM
I have several custom exe actions running at the end of my install and I would like to specify the order. I found a thread that recommended using ORCA to modify the msi after it is generated. While this is a good work around, I don't think it should be a permanent solution, because then I have to remember it each time. Why can't the custom action order be consistent with the order of things on the screen? Just add ctrl+shift+up/down like the Features.

I noticed that people resorted to the following work arounds:
ORCA
sending the .ise file to Chandima, so they can edit it, in some custom application I assume
creating a new .ise file and carefully adding the actions in the desired order

These all seem insufficient to me, so I am requesting the ability to reorder the custom actions within ISE using ctrl+shift+up/down.

Regards,
Jim

mr_anderson
02-15-2004, 01:04 AM
ISE files can be edited in ORCA.

jcullison
02-16-2004, 11:47 AM
Yes, I am aware of that, as I mentioned. However, I don't think that is a good solution, as I have to remember to do that each time I build an install. If you regularly build installs, you'll agree that if you do it once a month it is easy to forget some small step, such as opening a whole other program and editing the msi file.

Jim

Infinitygirl
03-01-2004, 05:37 PM
It may be easy enough to,
Create a batch file that calls all your custom actions in correct sequence.
Then just call batch as the custom action...?

jcullison
03-01-2004, 05:41 PM
We gave in and switched to DevStudio. Thanks for the idea though.

Jim