PDA

View Full Version : Including MSI Engine(s)...do you?

Gary German
02-12-2004, 04:49 PM
I'm concerned about file sizes for my single image install packages, and I'm looking for ways to reduce the size.

I've experimented with the MSI Engine options, and found that if I include "9x Engine Only", it adds about 1.67 Meg to the package (compared to including "None"). If I include "Both 9x and NT Engines", it adds 3.45 Meg to the package.

Question: how many of you include these engines? If you do not, do you get many reports of install problems?

FWIW - I'm using Express 4 SP1.

TIA.

Ajay Ghatpande
02-18-2004, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by Gary German
I'm concerned about file sizes for my single image install packages, and I'm looking for ways to reduce the size.

I've experimented with the MSI Engine options, and found that if I include "9x Engine Only", it adds about 1.67 Meg to the package (compared to including "None"). If I include "Both 9x and NT Engines", it adds 3.45 Meg to the package.

Question: how many of you include these engines? If you do not, do you get many reports of install problems?

FWIW - I'm using Express 4 SP1.

TIA.

The Installshield Express is based on windows installer system.

If you don not include the msi engine it will not run on those OS which does not have windows installer like windows 95 & windows 98 (earlier version). If you are confident that the windows installer is installed on the target system then you dont require to include the msi engine, but in that case you will not be able to provide the upgrades to your package.