PDA

View Full Version : Shortcut not being installed

Nate Lockwood
01-31-2004, 04:20 PM
This is my first project with IS. It all works correctly (what little there is) except that no shortcut is insalled in Start>Programs. I must be doing something wrong.

TIA for any help.

Nate

jonathan03
02-01-2004, 12:59 PM
I am having the same problem. I setup my prject to install an icon on the desktop and create a folder with a link in the start menu. I have run the install on 7 computers. It installed the icon on all but one computer. The computer was running windows 2000. The other computers were an even mix of win xp and 2000. Any ideas why the shortcuts aren't being installed? Thanks for the help.

Nate Lockwood
02-02-2004, 09:48 AM
I thought it was because I made some error but it's supposed to install a shortcut in the Start>Programs automatically by default is it not?

The IS that have shipped with Borland's products have worked correctly for me in the past.

Nate

Filmy_1
02-02-2004, 01:02 PM
As far as I can see ISX 5 does not put any sort of shortcut in the menu area unless you tell it you. I have done it and it works fine, as well as on the dektop. You need to assign a few things and fill in the blanks but provided you do that all should be well.

Installation Designer > 3. Configure target System > Shortcuts/Folders.
On the right side where you see the tree under Shortcuts > Taskbar > Programs menu you right click and choose what you want to create. Reading the little help file will help as well.

jonathan03
02-03-2004, 07:51 AM
I have gone through the process of setting up the icon on the desktop and in the programs menu. However, on one of the computers I installed the software on the icon was not created on the desktop or the shortcut was not in the strt menu. It says always install for each of these. The problem computer is running windows 2000. The other 6 computers I tested the install on were running a mix of 2000 and xp. The shortcuts were created on these computers. Any ideas? Thanks for the help.

Nate Lockwood
02-03-2004, 10:47 AM
I got it working, I just wasn't doing it right. Now I can tackle more complicated projects.

Thanks,

Nate

amy_voxland
03-10-2004, 02:45 PM
On Win2k, make sure that the person running the install has Administrator rights. Otherwise shortcuts will fail to be created, and you could have other problems, like not being able to write to the registry.

Nate Lockwood
03-10-2004, 03:59 PM
Thanks, I need to remind my users of that.