PDA

View Full Version : Version number formats for QuickPatch

StephenQATester
01-29-2004, 01:14 AM
For InstallShield Express 4 SP1, is there any way to tell it which version number 'format' to use when comparing versions of a file in a QuickPatch, i.e. the 'File version' or the 'Product version' (from Windows Explorer file properties).

When you compile a DLL in VB6, the project properties let you enter version info in 3 boxes of Major, Minor & Revision. In WinExplorer that shows as v1.00.0031.

When we make a new version we update the 'third' block to v1.00.0032, but I.S. is seeing it as v1.0.0.32, and therefore complaining that the version number hasn't changed within the first 3 blocks. :confused:

Most of the time this version number is automatically updated by VB/SourceSafe, so we don't want to have to manually fiddle with it, and personally, I thought v1.0.0.31 is technically identical to v1.00.0031 - even WinExplorer file properties can't get it right - on the version tab it uses the 4 block format at top, but the 3 block version further down in both the File & Product version fields.

How much does QuickPatch rely on this 'apparent' lack of change in version numbers?

StephenQATester
03-29-2004, 12:49 AM
Just in case anyone is interested, here is the result of my MySupport query:

"This issue has been reproduced and determined to be a bug in our software. This issue has been submitted to our Development team as work order # 1-L9PCT

Currently there is no workaround for this issue. Our Development team is investigating this issue, but at this moment, there is no estimated time frame for when this issue will be fixed."

:(