PDA

View Full Version : Direct X Merge Module again!!!!!!

Malaidas
01-27-2004, 10:58 AM
Around about the time of the release of Express version 4 I raised concerns about the way in which the direct X9.0 merge module worked, in brief

a) It always installs regardless of the presence of DX 9.0 on the target machine
b) It installs on NT4.0 and win 95 which cannot support the version
c) Clicking no on the direct X installation dialog terminates the install shield installation which in our case was terrible as its only required for a small part of the application and the rest can and should run without it.

Anyway at that time Chandima provided me with a fixed version of the module. This module was not shipped with the service pak which I understand was due to time problems.

However we have recently purchased version 5.0 and to my horror the old bugged merge module is still present. whilst I still have the improved module. I find it unacceptable that this has not been fixed. Especially seeing as these upgrades are not cheap.

On a side note I reraise the issue, why are more and more merge modules missing the OS conditions, e.g. GDI+ which should only be installed on machines running OS prior to XP, I'm trying to get round it using features but certain user feedback has lead me to believe that this is not stopping the problem.

cheers

Stephen Whipp
Eastmond Publishing Ltd. (UK)

PS: if anyone needs to the updated module post on this forum and I'll upload it

robynr
03-04-2004, 09:45 PM
Hi Stephen,

I would love to have the updated module - we have this exact problem. If you say no to DX9, the installer halts - not so good, is it? If you can upload the fix for this, it would be most appreciated.

take care,
robynr

Malaidas
03-05-2004, 07:46 AM
hi here it is

please note that it is only part of the fix required.

It prevents it always installing regardless of version on machine. The following line should be used in the MSI to fix the NT and 95 bug. It needs to replace the DX entry in Insall Execute Sequence. Use Orca to edit this manually

($DXComponent.A545835B_7768_4D96_A5BC_930949616C2D=3) AND (INSTALLEDDXVER < THISDXVER) AND (NOT Version9X=400) AND (NOT VersionNT=400)

I don't think it stops it exiting however once the dialog box comes up so I'm not sure if it'll help

cheers

Stephen Whipp
Eastmond Publishing Ltd (UK)

robynr
03-05-2004, 10:18 AM
Hi Stephen,

Thanks very much for the fix. To respond to your note re GDI+ we get around this by copying the GDI+ file to the system directory. Under Com and Net Settings, we set the Registration type to None and under Advanced, we unselect the Windows XP checkbox. This seems to solve the problem you describe.

take care,
robynr