PDA

View Full Version : This is terrible - please help!!!



gregquinn
01-22-2004, 03:45 PM
I have just purchased Express 5, and ran the product updates. I have made my installer package.

But now my install works fine, but when I run the uninstall and it completes, I am then asked to restart the PC. I then restart and log back in....

But now in my Add/Remove Programs window it tells me NO PROGRAMS ARE INSTALLED ON THIS COMPUTER and I cannopt remove any programs, all the buttons are diabled.

Help, I have already damaged two of my colleagues PC's with this. This is totally unnacceptable on Installshields side of things. How can I fix these PC's now??? How can I stop my uninstall from doing this??????

Please help

TsungH
01-22-2004, 04:17 PM
I am not sure how the installation is created, and what it contains, I can't say why it is happening. I don't think it's a product issue. You may want to get some help from mySupport (http://mysupport.installshield.com/) on your project, they may be able to find out what's causing that behavior.

gregquinn
01-22-2004, 04:21 PM
How can it not be a product issue?

All I'm doing is adding a few files to the install, adding a few dialog boxes, and have one custom action that runs a one-line batch file that attaches a Sql Server database.

TsungH
01-22-2004, 05:06 PM
What makes you so sure it's a product issue?

If you are confident it's a product issue, please raise a case with mySupport (http://mysupport.installshield.com). Once they can confirm it, they will create a work order on the issue for the developers.

gregquinn
01-22-2004, 05:39 PM
The first thing I did was send the issue to mySupport.

How can it not be a product issue? Its not like I'm doing harcore scripting on the target pc....

Filmy_1
01-25-2004, 02:08 AM
I just discovered something like this - I was testing a build - I said testing. This is supposed to leave your system alone correct? Well I added the upgrade path option so now the installer looks for a previous install and if it finds one it will upgrade if need be. So here is what happens - the test runs like it should, it seems to work fine. Now I look for a file and IT ISN'T THERE. So l look a little further and the reg entrys that were associated with it are not either, other files are gone as well. Did i mention this was only a "TEST"?

So this is somewhat like the question above. It does appear there is some sort of bug with what the program does, at least in this case, because doing a test run of the install package is not supposed to touch anything at all but yet it is uninstalling progams and deleting Reg entrys. This seems to be a bug only if you choose the 'upgrade' type of build.

Try it - create an install of something simple. Say make a directory called "Test" and put a "test.txt" file in it. Now have your installer install the file "test.txt" to the [INSTALLDIR]Test folder. Have the installer look for a previous version...blah blah...the normal routine. Now run a TEST on your build. When you are done go look for that "test.txt" file - it won't be there anymore. Not good!