PDA

View Full Version : Where does [SUPPORTDIR] point to? Error 76 path not found

knotslanding
01-21-2004, 01:14 PM
Hello,

I am using InstallShield Express 4. I have 2 files that I included in the English node of the Setup Files that are temporarily installed during install and then removed after an uninstall. I then created a custom action as follows. (I actually have 2 custom actions one for each setup file that I included in the English node of the Setup Files section. However, I am only specifying one of the custom actions for this question.)

Name: SaveRegistry. This can be called anything.
Source Location: File Exists on Target Computer
File Location: [SUPPORTDIR]. Must type this in.
FileName and Command Line: SaveRegistry.exe. This is just a standard Visual Basic 6 executable program. I have tested this program and it works without any problems.
Invoke: After initialization (before first dialog)
Wait for Action: Yes
Run Once: Yes
Execute: During Installation
Ignore Exit Code: No
Comments:
Conditions: No Conditions

Does anyone know what the path where [SUPPORTDIR] is pointing to. I was able to see during a test install on my computer where the file was being copied to: That path was:

C:\Documents and Settings\garyy.sjr\Local Settings\Temp\{4417989F0-C6C6-4677-9D87-2D9C6BDFD8DB}”

So I am guessing the [SUPPORTDIR] points to the above path. On a side note, I did open my Install Shield Express project file (extension ise) in ORCA and noted the following:

Tables: Directory
Directory: SUPPORTDIR
Directory Parent: TargetDir. By the way, where does TargetDir point? I am guessing it is also dynamic.
Default Directory: SUPPORTDIR
ISDescription: this is blank
ISAttributes: 0

I am getting a run time error when I run my install on a clean computer. The exact error message is:

Run time error ‘76’: Path Not Found SaveRegistry.exe.

When I run the install on my own computer, it works fine.

This leads me to believe that the path “C:\Documents and Settings\garyy.sjr\Local Settings\Temp\{4417989F0-C6C6-4677-9D87-2D9C6BDFD8DB}” does not exists on the target computer, which makes sense since the user installing my program may not have this particular and specific path.

{4417989F0-C6C6-4677-9D87-2D9C6BDFD8DB} is the package ID, if I am not mistaken.

So my questions are:

1. Where does [SUPPORTDIR] point to? I thought it was dynamic and changes according to the currently logged on user. Remember during my install, I have 2 files that are copied to the [SUPPPORTDIR] and then removed after the install. At least that is what my understanding.
2. Closely related, where does [TargeDir] point to?
3. Should I change the ignore exit code to Yes in my custom action above to suppress the error message? And will this work if I change the ignore exit code to Yes. Does changing this ignore exit code property suppress error messages like the one I am getting?
4. How do I solve this error message and what am I doing wrong? Remember it works on my PC, just not on a clean PC.
5. I prefer though to solve the error message rather than have an error message popup to the user. By the way, if the error message were suppressed, wouldn’t this mean that the 2 temporary setup files weren’t copied to the [SUPPORTDIR] and therefore can’t run. I wasn’t sure. In any case, I need to have my 2 setup files copied to the [SUPPORTDIR] and then run. If there is an error, “path not found” then I am guessing the files weren’t copied and therefore can’t run as expected. Is this correct and how can I solve this error message?
6. Why does the error message not occur on my PC, but on a clean PC?

Thanks in advance. Any help is most appreciated.