PDA

View Full Version : Major Upgrade Help

John K
12-23-2003, 01:53 PM
During a major upgrade, my install scripts copies a file to the install directory(a new license for the new version of the product) and adds a new registry entry used by the new version. Everthing looks great until I click "OK" on the installation complete dialog. At that point, the registry entry and file get removed as well as desktop shortcuts.

My guess is that this has something to so with the clean up at the end of the install, maybe the ISSetupFilesCleanup?

How can I avoid this problem??

thanks
john k

John K
12-30-2003, 01:39 PM
Could this be the result of the bug defined in this article:

http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=q107649

alatten
01-06-2004, 09:26 AM
If your vanishing files, registry entries and shortcuts are all script created, it's exactly the result of the bug described in the KB article you mentioned. Besides the solution described in the KB, it would also help to wrap all creating/copying lines in the script into Disable/Enable(LOGGING). But this must already be done in the old version, and if it is already shipped, it' too late...

But after only two Major Releases and lots of Maintenance Releases this bug is fixed now in DevStudio 9.01... -- But you have to pay for this bug fix! And of course, it will not help, if you already have shipped a version

HTH,
Andrees