PDA

View Full Version : Unexplainable actions from MSI?

Andreas
12-03-2003, 11:03 AM
I'm getting unexpected results when doing a reinstall or remove of my basic MSI setup. For example, when removing a feature, I get this:

MSI (s) (0C:0C): Component: dmXXXX.rtf; Installed: Local; Request: Absent; Action: Absent
MSI (s) (0C:0C): Component: ugxx; Installed: Local; Request: Absent; Action: Null
MSI (s) (0C:0C): Component: databaser; Installed: Local; Request: Absent; Action: Null
MSI (s) (0C:0C): Component: Briljant.hlp; Installed: Local; Request: Absent; Action: Absent
MSI (s) (0C:0C): Component: Brilfix.exe; Installed: Local; Request: Absent; Action: Absent
MSI (s) (0C:0C): Component: Brilbg.exe; Installed: Local; Request: Absent; Action: Absent

Note the action for the components ugxx and databaser: They're currently installed Local and requested to be Absent, but yet the Action is Null?? I copied in the previous and following components just to demonstrate that others work just fine.

A similar thing happens when I run with REINSTALL=ALL:

MSI (s) (20:A4): Component: dmXXXX.rtf; Installed: Local; Request: Local; Action: Local
MSI (s) (20:A4): Component: ugxx; Installed: Local; Request: Null; Action: Null
MSI (s) (20:A4): Component: databaser; Installed: Local; Request: Null; Action: Null
MSI (s) (20:A4): Component: Briljant.hlp; Installed: Local; Request: Local; Action: Local
MSI (s) (20:A4): Component: Brilfix.exe; Installed: Local; Request: Local; Action: Local
MSI (s) (20:A4): Component: Brilbg.exe; Installed: Local; Request: Local; Action: Local

Now they're currently installed Local, part of a feature that is being reinstalled, but Request and Action for them is Null??

Why does this happen? The files don't get properly updated, nor properly removed!

lsmeteor
12-03-2003, 11:27 AM
It looks like some feature or component is not being activated at all. Look for key words in your log like 'broken' or 'failed'. If you find any, you might get a hint as to what has been broken (component GUID, feature turned off, etc) and you should be able to fix it.

This happened to me when I removed a components from my own merge module and reimported it. It's GUID changed and the feature that contained the merge module would not install.
hth

Andreas
12-03-2003, 11:39 AM
I searched for "broke", "error" and "fail" but found nothing relevant.

All of the components listed in the log extract are part of the same feature, so there doesn't seem to be an error with the feature. I searched for the component code and the component name finding no matches for the code and only this match for the name.

Further research shows that it seems to be connected to certain machines that have been through one or several minor upgrades. Wiping the machine clean of the product and reinstalling has succeeded in making it start working properly again on the machine I'm currently trying it on. I haven't yet been able to reproduce the error by reinstalling older versions and upgrading them, but I don't know exactly which versions have been installed on this machine so it might take some experimentation.

Any other ideas?