PDA

View Full Version : Installing on XP using "Run As" dialog Install Error 1628

dwhamsaa
12-02-2003, 01:25 PM
Hi,
I have an installation with one feature built with IS Dev 7.4. A user would like to be able to install the product on machines that are locked down by starting the installation from the user's account and use the "Run As" dialog to install the product using an administrator's account. The actions are as follows:

1. Restricted user in Windows XP attempts to install our app.
2. Restricted user is prompted for an administrator's name and password.
3. Restricted user enters adminstrator's name and password.
4. Install proceeds normally.
5. Install Error 1628 is generated at the very end of the install.

When I log this installation, the installation stops at:
C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\Driver\7\INTEL3~1\IDriver.exe ===
=== Logging started: 12/2/2003 13:04:12 ===
Action start 17:43:12: CostInitialize.
Action ended 17:43:12: CostInitialize. Return value 1.
Action start 17:43:12: FileCost.
Action ended 17:43:12: FileCost. Return value 1.
Action start 17:43:12: CostFinalize.
Action ended 17:43:12: CostFinalize. Return value 1.
1: Creating uninstallation information...
1: Failed to create uninstallation information, error is 0x80070002
=== Verbose logging stopped: 12/2/2003 13:04:19 ===

There was a post about the same situation with the title:
Install error 1628 for XP Restricted Users
and no solution was ever posted.

Any information out there about this? Is this issue cleared up in IS Dev 8?

Thanks
Dave

sbrown
12-04-2003, 03:54 PM
I get the same error. Funny thing is I run two installs on the same xp machine. I am logged in using an admin acct. the first install runs properly, the second throws the error. Both installs(different products) I built with the same ISDev9 installation on the same machine and within 5 minutes of each other.

dhesog
12-20-2003, 05:23 AM
Error 1628 normally occurs at run time during uninstallation, repair, or when applying a patch. It can be caused by several reasons, which are specific to each cause.

Please go through the following KB:

http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=q107319

The above-mentioned article discusses all the causes and resolutions for the error 1628 in detail.

Hope this helps!

Tim Mayert
03-29-2004, 10:58 AM
Well some of my customers are getting the exact same error message and they are running it in First Time install mode.

We just released our product and after the first few days we ended up with 3 - 4 customers already complaining about the 1628 error.

Is there any definite solutions that we can supply to the users to solve these issues? We did not find any of these issues during our testing cycle so anything that applies to install project building should not apply as we would have seen these issues in testing.

If anyone has a set of steps to apply to a users machine that could fix this issues I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks,