PDA

View Full Version : Option "never overwrite" some times doesn't work

llc123
12-02-2003, 09:57 AM
In My IShield project, I install a .mdb file (access file) and I don't want to overwrite this file.
So I use the 'never overwrite" option.
It works with my PC (Windows XP) , it works on another PC (windows 2000) but on the PC of my boss (no luck) it doesn't work ! !
As he is our network administrator, I wonder if it can be the reason. If yes, what can I do to avoid this overwrite ?

Thank you

luke_s
12-04-2003, 01:16 AM
On the machine that is does not work on, run an install log to see why the file is being overwritten.

llc123
12-04-2003, 02:50 AM
How can I do ti run an install log as you say ?
Is it a special Install Image or else ?
Excuse but I'm quite new with Install Shield Developper

Thanks

lsmeteor
12-04-2003, 09:27 AM
Hi,
I made myself a little reminder file to help me out when I need to log an installation:

InstallScript projects - logging examples

Logging a patch:
"Z:\Installation Packages Current\Radcliffe\Patches\PatchTo320\EUl\300To320\Update.exe" /v"/L*v! c:\logs\mylog.txt"

Logging a minor upgrade:
"Z:\Installation Packages Current\PPro\CD_400\Setup.exe" /Verbose"c:\logs\mylog.txt"

Basic Setup: msiexec /l* "c:\logfile.txt" /i "package.msi"
Standard Setup: setup.exe /v"/l* c:\logfile.txt"

On another note, I too noticed that the 'Never Overwrite' sometimes does not work. But this only happens when I test my upgrades right after running a fresh installation. The file that I dod not wnat to overwrite was never manipulated or saved, and gets replaced with a newer version.
But if I altered the file in question before running an upgrade, the file does not get overwritten.