PDA

View Full Version : Registry key updates for Major/Minor upgrades

BusKea
11-26-2003, 10:28 AM
I am creating an upgrade and wish not to reinstall the registry entries. Is there a way to do this? I have tried using both a Major and Minor upgrade. The major upgrade uninstalls everything and then installs the upgrade, so this does not work. The help files says, with a minor upgrade, to add the REINSTALLMODE=voums to the CMDLINE in the setup.ini to avoid updating the registry entries, which I tried in several different configurations (omitting the u and m for registry updates) and it did not produce the desired results. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. This upgrade needs to be installed on quite a few machines and the registry entries from the initial install have been modified to reflect the users machine settings. These would all have to be re entered for each machine! :confused:

lsmeteor
11-26-2003, 10:43 AM
If you want to remove registry entries, you can probably populate the RemoveRegistry table in your upgrade.
You specify the key that you want to remove. I believe you can even specify a branch and it affect everything underneath.
Look it up in the Direct Editor.
hth

BusKea
11-26-2003, 11:03 AM
Actually I am trying to preserve the existing registry entries, which are wiped out with the upgrade install.

lsmeteor
11-26-2003, 11:31 AM
This is a well documented issue with major upgrades. For some reason, they all get wiped out regardless of what we do.

I do not have any problems during minor upgrades though. The registry entries remained in place.
If your installation creates default registry entries, you can add a condition (Not installed) on that particular action to avoid replacing the existing ones.
Associate the creation of the registry entries to a feature that will be installed the first time, and add the condition to the feature.
Follow the checklist in this thread for minor upgrade:

http://community.installshield.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=107134
hth

WISeAgent
02-17-2004, 12:19 AM
Hi BusKea,

I'm running into the same problem you've have. I'd like to install a new registry keys for fresh installation, preserve the existing reg keys for upgrade application.

Just wondering if you have solved the registry issues during minor upgrade? and how?