PDA

View Full Version : Defining Merge Module

parachute
11-20-2003, 11:29 AM
Hi !

I would like to know what to do exactly when defining a component in an msm. I read the documentation but I'm lost. Is anybody have an exemple or anything else ?!?

I try to add our products in an msm file and I really don't know what to add in Files and the rest.

Thank you !

lsmeteor
11-21-2003, 10:05 AM
Hi,
Components in merge modules follow the same rules as in regular projects. That is you should include only one exe or dll per component.

That being said, is your product only one file or is it a whole installation.
In case of being a set of files, I guess you can add the files in their own components (as many components as there are exe and dll). If a file needs to be registered, it has by be the key file.
You can group non dll/exe files together in the same component.

If you product is equivalent to a package, I believe you can also create a custom action you launch your product.

The only merge module I have done contains about 50 files, each in their own component, with one little custom action. No problem at this point.
Good luck

parachute
11-21-2003, 10:50 AM
Thank you very much !

I have more than one product for creating msm file. Just in our group, we have more than 5 differents product. Presently, we have one setup by product and we want to standardise the installation package in whole company (that's mean more than 5 setup) and we want each group doing an msm file for standardisation.

I just have to create one msm containing all products, isn't it ?

Thank you ! :o

lsmeteor
11-21-2003, 01:56 PM
I see, I guess you really want to end up with one mega .msm file...

I'm at a loss too. I am not sure how complex the logic in a merge module can be. I would believe that if you are profficient in msi, you would be able to create it. I didn't see any InstallScript in merge module besides custom actions.
Sorry I couldn't help you more. Maybe scouring the Microsoft Windows Installer web site will reveal tools and tips for building complex merge modules.

parachute
11-24-2003, 07:35 AM
Thank you !