PDA

View Full Version : vBuild 2.1 hanging during installation process

BrightonGuy
11-17-2003, 01:56 PM
Target System: Windows 2000, SP3
User has Admin rights
Disk has plenty of free disk space (over 1GB)
Temp directories are set properly

On an internal system here used for QA purposes, the vBuild portion of the install is hanging during the installation process.

Install is build using IS Pro 7.01, vBuild 2.1

User starts the install, gets to the part where "Scouting" occurs. vBuild appears to extract all its *StreamsTempFile* files to the temp directory, then at the point where it is expected to start expanding the individual files, it just hangs. Setup.exe continues to utilize between 40-50% of the CPU, but nothing occurs. Leave it sitting for 30 minutes, and it is still in the same place.

Try to kill the process via TaskManager gets the response "Access Denied.". Have to hard boot. After rebooting, the hang is reproducible.

Any idea what the problem is?

Alon
11-18-2003, 03:51 AM
I have never seen such a behavior. To identify the problem, I will most probably need the media(s) involved and information on the build (target version, source version(s) selected, build type, etc), any special operation on the vBuild side (e.g. manual matching), and end-user status during teh build (what version was installed, selected components, etc). To get first hint on what is going on, the following can be done: In the registry under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\RedBend\DBender create a string key entry LogFilePath with some valid folder path (e.g. c:\vBuild). In the same folder, put a redbend.ini with the following content:

[debug]
dbender=1
dbender_is=1
bender/dbender errors=1
DBENDER_IS_TIMES=1

Then run the installation again. A redbend.log file will be created in the same folder as redbend.ini --- send it to me. I recommend deleting/renaming the redbend.ini file when done.

Alon.

BrightonGuy
11-19-2003, 02:23 PM
Ignore my last post -- false alarm. I should have spent some more time debugging the problem before sending up a smoke signal for help.

It turns out that the hang was caused by corruption on some files in the master file table/file system, and it was not related to vBuild in any way. Trying to run the same install without vBuild compression on the same system resulted in the InstallShield only install also hanging.

Sorry for the ruckus.