View Full Version : Converted 6.31 installation hangs at end

Andy M-S
11-14-2003, 12:55 PM
I have a 6.31 project that I've moved over to 9, and it works very nicely, thank you, most of the time.

However, when the installer reaches the very "end;" of the OnEnd() function, it stops responding. If I'm running it in the debugger, even shutting down the debugger doesn't kill it.

It's as if it's gone into some kind of loop at that point, but I don't think that's due to anything in the script...

FWIW, I'm building with an up-to-date copy of 9.0. Anybody have any idea what's going on?

11-14-2003, 04:27 PM
Hi Andy,

I want to know if this is a machine-specific problem or a project-specific problem. Do you get the same problem for a simple installation?


12-01-2003, 03:05 AM

I have same problem.
When installation creates icons after that it deletes all it just
installed and hangs.

Same happends in WinXp (with and without SP1) and Win2K.

03-02-2004, 03:21 PM

We have the same problem with one of our installations. We converted from 6.31 to DevStudio 9, made many of the recommended changes to the InstallScript from the DevStudio Samples (Cumulative Setup Sample Project) to call OnMaintUI only when ADDREMOVE is non-zero and such.

The project looks as though it is installed all the way, gets to the OnEnd function, and hangs. We even changed the SdFinish dialog to SdFinishReboot to force a reboot, but even if you say ok to reboot, it still hangs.

If you kill the process and try to uninstall it in Add/Remove Programs you get the errors shown in the attached file. I'm assuming this is probably due to the fact that it never finished whatever needed to happen after OnEnd()


On another note, one of the other applications we converted does work. When we compared the "C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{GUID1}" and "..\{GUID2}" folders for the working and non-working installs, the difference seemed to be that the non-working version did not have a log file (setup.ilg) or a _setup.dll file like the working version did.


This is not machine specific, because it crashes in the DevStudio 9 debugger on a W2k machine, and when being installed, it also crashes on a 98SE machine as well as a WXP Pro machine.

Any help?

I just got back from DevStudio 9 Training in Schaumburg last week, and the instructor was supposed to have support look into this... but I decided to see if the Community had an answer.

03-03-2004, 10:34 AM
I figured out what the problem was with our installation by reading the thread "Setup hangs when I click the Finish Button"

BuildMaster posted the following:

do you call SdShowMsg(...) in your installation script?
For each SdShowMsg(..., TRUE) you must call a SdShowMsg(..., FALSE) or your installation will never terminate.


Here's the link:

I found that in my OnEnd() there was a lonely SdShowMsg("Finalizing Installation...", TRUE) without a corresponding SdShowMsg("", FALSE)

I'm happy I found the solution to our problem, however, this was not a problem in 6.31 as it cleaned up that dialog for me, and now it causes a problem in DevStudio 9.

It would be nice if there was best practices document when upgrading to DevStudio 9 that stated all of the little quirks like so:
if you did the following in IS 6.xx (insert old method of doing things), make sure you do this instead/in addition to(insert useful information) in DevStudio 9.

Thanks - I'm off my soapbox.