PDA

View Full Version : Path vs Enviroment Variables

CarloD
11-14-2003, 12:09 PM
Got a quick question regarding PATH & ENVIRONMENT PATH variables. I have a couple of Developer 7 projects I'm trying to make a bit more portable so they can be built on any machine from a batch file without having to open up the IDE first.

Now the projects use PATH VARIABLES, but I'd like to change them to all use environment path variables. Short of opening up the IDE and changing their types one by one, is there any simpler way to do this? I looked thru the help & docs but all they tell me is how to define them, not change their types en mass.

Note: I'm a long time IS user from the Professional 5/6 days but I'm pretty new to Developer.

Thanks,

Carlo

Joshua
11-14-2003, 02:05 PM
Carlo,

I'm not aware of an automated way of changing these en masse. I would recommend opening the Developer IDE and changing them individually, although I realize that may be a painful process for large projects.

CarloD
11-17-2003, 05:36 PM
Joshua,

Thanks, I kinda figured that. It actually wasn't TOO horrible, here's what I did:

1) Export the Installshield project to a text file.
2) Located the file where IS puts the Path Variables (IsPathVariable.idt)
3) Cut and paste the definitions to a cmd file
4) Ran the cmd file from a command prompt
5) Start ISDEV from the same prompt
6) Toggle all variables types from "Standard" to "Environment"

If I get the energy (and time) I'll finish the job by removing the common root from these variables and having only one (or maybe two) environment variables and have the rest derived from them.

Out of curiousity, if you have a lot of absolute paths and you run the Convert Source Paths in Developer 7, is it smart enough to rationalize the variables it creates or does it do a one for one mapping, one variable for each unique path. Seems to me that MAY be what happened here (over 20 path variables, all pretty darn similar).

Carlo