PDA

View Full Version : C:\WINNT\Installer

lsmeteor
11-13-2003, 09:02 AM
Hi all,

My WINNT folder has become extremely crowded and I desperately need to find some files to fire to make breathing room for the rest of the processes.

Under WINNT I found \Installer which contains folder with product code name and Installshield files in each of them such as ARPPRODUCTICON.exe, NewShortcut1.exe or NewShortcut1_1.exe

it also contains a whole bunch of msi files, which is what really takes up a lot of space. Some of them are not longer installed, but for some reason they are stuck there.

While not all of them were generated during my own installations, they do take up 4.5 Gb out of 5.6.
Is there anyway to clean up the \Installer folder by ditching what is no longer needed? If so, how do I know which is no longer required?

TIA

huntant
11-14-2003, 10:56 AM
If your OS is Win2000 or WinXP you can add the Title column to your explorer view. This will give you a better idea what each one is for. If you know that the software is no longer installed (not in add/remove programs), you could simply delete the msi file, but you need to be careful here, sometimes installed products aren't listed in ARP. You could try just double-clicking on each msi and see what it does.
I would be careful with the shortcut icons. It's hard to know with installs they are linked to. To do that you would need to get the product code from each install and match them up.

Anthony

lsmeteor
11-14-2003, 04:01 PM
Excellent tip Anthony!!
Thanks that works great. I didn't know about the additional columns. I turned Title on and it gives me exactly what I need to know.
It seems that every installation msi I ever tested is in this folder. I'll be spending some file slashing happy time to clean it up a bit. :)