PDA

View Full Version : verbose log

jimshatt
11-12-2003, 05:54 AM
Hi,
According to the Help library I can create a verbose log with
Setup.exe /verbose"C:\IS.log"

This doesn't work for my InstallScript-only project though. My guess is that the verbose argument is passed to the MSI in an MSI-based project, or that the parameter is changed for DevStudio 9. But this is just speculation.

Any ideas about how to create a log for InstallScript-only projects?
I do have a Log based on CreateFile and WriteLine, but I want to see what the InstallScript-engine does.

Thanks,
jimshatt

DevinEllingson
11-12-2003, 02:39 PM
jimshatt,

\verbose is not supported in InstallShield 7.0 and later. It didn't really produce a verbose log, it just gave you more information if a setup initialization error occured.

Unfortunately, we don't currently have extended logging that is viewable by the setup author. This is something we are thinking about adding for a future release.

Devin Ellingson
InstallShield Software Corporation

jimshatt
11-12-2003, 03:56 PM
Hmm, too bad. It would be nice to see, for example, what events were fired and when.
I do than now by creating my own log file and implementing every (feature) event by hand.

A more object-oriented approach in installscript, where you would be able to register eventlisteners to features would also be great, but I think that's a little too hard to do with the current InstallScript language.

Regards,
Matthijs.

matthewlmcclure
11-20-2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by DevinEllingson
\verbose is not supported in InstallShield 7.0 and later. It didn't really produce a verbose log, it just gave you more information if a setup initialization error occured.
[/B]

/verbose is still in your DevStudio9 documentation. Shouldn't it be removed?

http://documentation.installshield.com/robo/projects/helplibdevstudio9/IHelpSetup_EXECmdLine.htm#verboseParam

DevinEllingson
11-20-2003, 05:25 PM
matthewlmcclure,

Yes, you are correct it should not appear in the DevStudio 9 help, it was removed from the Professional 7 help when this functionality was removed, unfortunately some parts of the DevStudio9 help still reflect the Professional 6.x documentation. We are currently working on getting this fixed.

Devin Ellingson
InstallShield Software Corporation

arthg9
03-15-2004, 02:10 PM
Second time today I got burned by obsolete documentation.
I hope logging will be a restored feature.