PDA

View Full Version : Installation Problems

NEOICE316
11-12-2003, 12:38 AM
After I install my product. I have my QA Staff unistall the product. When they go to install the product again, it just hangs. The installer will not install the product again. Any help on this matter would be greatly helpful.

RichAquino
11-12-2003, 01:12 PM
Hi,

My guess is that this is project specific, as I'm sure we would have heard of this issue before. Can you try it with another project to confirm this?

Rich

NEOICE316
11-12-2003, 01:17 PM
Hi,

Thanks for you help.

This is happening with all my projects. We have 7 applications that are doing this.

RichAquino
11-12-2003, 01:40 PM
Hi,

Can you try creating a simple installation that just installs something like notepad.exe?

My guess is that that'll work, and that something in your installations is causing this.

I would also guess (depending on the project type) that this is being caused by a custom action, script, or both. Another possibility is that a file is being unregistered, but remains locked.

Could you specify the project type?

Rich

NEOICE316
11-12-2003, 01:47 PM
Hi,

Can you try creating a simple installation that just installs something like notepad.exe?

My guess is that that'll work, and that something in your installations is causing this.

I would also guess (depending on the project type) that this is being caused by a custom action, script, or both. Another possibility is that a file is being unregistered, but remains locked.

Could you specify the project type?

Rich

Yes a simple install will work. Project Type? I know it is Installshield Script, I ran the dependancy scanner to get my dll's and ocx files. It is set for Multi-Instance. I think since I am a new user at devstudio, I am unaware of the Project Type.

RichAquino
11-12-2003, 01:49 PM
Hi,

When you have your project open, the title bar will have the project type in parenthesis. In your case, it'll either be "(InstallScript Project)" or "(InstallScript MSI Project)".

Rich

NEOICE316
11-12-2003, 01:51 PM
InstallScript Project

RichAquino
11-12-2003, 01:52 PM
Hi,

As a test, backup your setup.rul, and replace it with the one from the test project. Rebuild your media, and try the test again. This will tell us if the problem is in script.

Rich

NEOICE316
11-12-2003, 01:55 PM
it has to bee in my script, can I send it too you

RichAquino
11-12-2003, 01:59 PM
Hi,

If it's in your script, I would suggest that you find the problem via a process of elimination. If you comment out events (i.e. the functions whose names start with "On" like OnFirstUIBefore) one by one, you'll most likely cause the problem.

Before you start that exercise, you should try a blank setup.rul to make sure you are not wasting your time.

If it happens on all systems, you could also use our debugger to figure it out.

Rich

AdTheBad
09-01-2004, 04:26 AM
Just wondering if you think the problem you are having is the same (or related to) mine. My installations can take up to 30 minutes to start going. See my thread at

http://community.installshield.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=137923

Thanks
Adam