PDA

View Full Version : MDAC 2.8 merge module fails to install

icnocop
11-10-2003, 04:56 PM
Attached is a zip file of dasetup.log and systernal's file and registry monitoring logs of dasetup.exe's activity.

The dasetup.log file indicates an "unspecified error" occurred, which is <sarcasm>very helpful</sarcasm>.

Microsoft's KB article Q232060, http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q232060, HOWTO: MDAC Setup Troubleshooting Guide, indicates that the setup may fail if one or more mdac dlls are currently in use.

However, I used systernal's listdlls.exe but nothing with odbc, ole32, or msado showed up.

I did try to stop the "Internet Information Server" service as suggested in Microsoft's KB articile, but that still didn't resolve the issue.

Any advice, hints, and/or suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you.

icnocop
11-10-2003, 04:57 PM
And the attachment ;)

icnocop
11-10-2003, 06:01 PM
So I got the crazy idea :p to set the "Log On" account of the "Windows Installer" service to the local Administrator account and ran the setup again.

This time the mdac 2.8 setup was successful!

However, after the setup was completed, the "Windows Installer" service reset the "Log On" account back to the LocalSystem account.

How weird is that?

icnocop
11-11-2003, 06:59 PM
Any ideas how I can resolve this issue?

- How can I make the MDAC 2.8 merge module run in the security context of the user who launched the setup as opposed to the LocalSystem account as defined by the "Windows Installer" service?

Thanks!