PDA

View Full Version : Different Type of Installation

esacha
11-10-2003, 04:51 PM
Hi All,
I know that DevStudio does Dynamic file linking for creating a release. But how about doing the same in an installation master script, not when building a release, that contains no hard coded data in the installations script, just environments variables that will be read from a file. And depending of the data on that's on the file, it will install the necessary applications (Components) for the user. The string is linked to a file that we provide then the installation goes on. I don’t know if I am clear about this. Let me know.

e.g. 3 Components

Main Install script

1 - User Interface
2 - Server and API
3 - Source files

And these are separate components, is there a way to create environment variables to run and when a user enters a string, it looks in the file to see what components are included with it?

Install.file

|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| INSTALLATION FULL SERVER: |
| Components 1, 2, 3 |
| INSTALLATION CLIENT: |
| Component 1 | | |
| |

If you have any questions let me know,

Thank you so much in advance for your help.

Mark at IS
11-12-2003, 02:04 PM
You might first want to check whether you can accomplish your goal by using setup types. For more information, open the Help Library's index (which is available from the IDE's Help menu) and see the following entry:

Setup types

Otherwise, you can read the contents of a file at run time by calling FileGrep or GetLine, and based on those file contents conditionally call FeatureSelectItem to select or deselect features.