PDA

View Full Version : Major upgrade problem (when shared component's GUID was changed)

Igorendra
11-06-2003, 10:10 AM
I have changed GUID of some shared components in my setup (but I didn't changed a key files). Then I made a major upgrade and saw following problem: after upgrade these shared components have a counter value == 2 (instead of 1). So, After full uninstallation these files are present on the HDD and has counter == 1. :((.
BTW, I have placed RemoveExistingProduct custom action after InstallValidate and before InstallInitialize.

I cannot change GUIDs back because this is only reductive description of problem. In reality, my product can upgrade 2 different products each of them contain these shared components which have different GUIDs, but the same key file.

Are there some way to fix the problem?

Joshua
11-14-2003, 02:29 PM
The only way to fix this problem is to revert back to using the same Component GUIDs. If this cannot be done, I would suggest manually modifying the SharedDLLs counters in the registry to reflect "1" rather than "2". This key can be found in the following location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs

Igorendra
11-14-2003, 02:42 PM
Thanks!