PDA

View Full Version : Problem resolving Visual Studio .NET Project Output

AdTheBad
11-06-2003, 07:18 AM
I have a Visual Studio .net 2003 solution that contains a C++ project and an InstallShield InstallScript project. I have added the primary output from the C++ project to the Application Target Folder of the InstallShield Files and Folders view.

All looks correct. If I right click on the primary output object in the 'Destination computer's files' pane and select 'Resolve project output' it resolves to the correct file. However if I try to build my installation I get an error message like the one below.

ISDEV : error -6221: Could not resolve Visual Studio .NET project output "ReeView.Primary Output" from component ReeView.Primary Output
C:\Program Files\InstallShield\DevStudio 9\IsDev.exe\-6221

If I replace the 'primary output' object with a direct link to the file itself it all builds fine.

The C++ project is building correctly before the InstallScript one so the file is definitely there.

Has anyone seen this before or got any ideas?

Jim Kang
11-06-2003, 03:09 PM
This is a known issue for solutions in which the project for the output to be resolved is not in the directory containing the solution or a subdirectory of it.

For example, it will happen if your solution is at C:\docs\solutiondir and your vcproj file is at C:\docs\someotherdir, the problem will happen. It won't happen if you move the vcproj file to C:\docs\solutiondir or C:\docs\solutiondir\subdir.

This happens with InstallScript projects. We're fixing this for an upcoming release. The tracking number is 1-GRLPH. For now, you'll have to use the workaround.

AdTheBad
11-07-2003, 03:36 AM
Jim, Thanks for the reply. This is exactly the situation I have.

Shifting the projects under the solutions would be a lot of work for me as we have around 20 solutions using 60 mainly common projects in a SourceSafe database. I think I'll use direct file references in my InstallShield projects for now and decouple them from the Visual Studio build sequence.

Suchii
10-28-2005, 04:51 AM
I Jim,

I have the same problem with a .NET 2003 Solution and Install Shield 10.5 Pro SP1.

I can't use your solution because the project that throw error -6221 is a web project, so, it must be in my IIS folder. Could you help me please ?